14 meals for $5 each

ok i am working on pinching our budget big time, and my husband gets paid every two weeks, so i have to plan for 14 meals, ( thats not counting our breakfast and lunch, gotta figure that out also, maybe leftovers,etc..will work for the lunch part) anyways, i need 14 meal ideas that cost $5 or less. this will hopefully help me shop better and save money.thankyou!

Kiki_pie

Asked by Kiki_pie at 9:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Pasta with just a little meat and a jar of sauce. Some cole slaw for green vegetable,and some fresh or canned fruit.

What I call "free" soup: Use everything in your refrigerator- leftovers, including bits of leftovers that you put into your freezer instead of throwing them out because they are too small. Add a can of kidney or pork and beans and a can of broth or soup. You can even use leftover salad, for example.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and a bowl of soup. Add cut up fresh vegetables- carrots are usually a good price, and whatever fresh vegetables you can afford.

Scrambled egg sandwiches, plus fresh vegetables and fresh or canned fruit.

Answer by Bmat at 9:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Make a big pot of chili, spaghetti, chicken stew, etc. They're fairly cheap, especially if you buy store brand. And that way, they'll be good for dinner, leftovers, and lunch. These items definitely go a long way. I should know...growing up, my mother would do this for my brother and me.

Hamburger Helper, Zatarain's, and other boxed dinners. They're usually about $2 & all you have to get is a can or frozen bag of veggies & a package of meat to go w/ it.

Clip some coupons! Most of the times coupons are just for items they're trying to promote. (I rarely ever see anything for something I actually NEED or isn't a brand I'd normally use.) But you can find a lot of coupons for things you may need to prep dinner w/ and you can save a few bucks. But I usually just go w/ the store brand....they tend to be cheaper than the big brands, even w/ a coupon.
    Anonymous

• Baked potato soup. Bake some potatoes, while doing that cook some bacon in big pot, remove and crumble it up . chop up an onion and saute, mash the potatoes up add some evaporated milk, and chicken broth. simmer for about 30mins, add some sour cream, the bacon, green onions, and shredded cheese.

Tacos, All u need is a $2 box of taco stuff and a pack of ground meat. and the sour cream, green onions and cheese u used for baked potatoe soup, and then get some lettuce and tomatoes.

Bake a ham, eat it with some potatoes and broccoli, then use the leftovers for scalloped potatoes and ham with broccoli, pasta salad, green lettuce salad, ham sandwiches, and other things,

meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and a canned veggie
    TheBabyFactory4

Answer by TheBabyFactory4 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Spaghetti, tuna noodle casserole, eggs & bacon (yes this can be good for dinner), grilled cheese sandwiches and soup, pork chops, rice & veggies, homemade chicken pot pie, tacos, meatball sandwiches, keep ham, cheese and bread on hand for lunches. Buy as much on sale as possible, clip coupons, my hubby and I live on about $40 - $50/week for groceries. Oh and hotdogs, macaroni & cheese, fajitas, if roast is on sale you can grab one of those and easily make that into two or three meals.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• do u have a recipe for the chicken pot pie??
    Kiki_pie

Answer by Kiki_pie at 10:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• on the bisquick box there is a recipe for an easy chicken pot pie. i've made it several times and it's pretty good. instead of cooking the chicken and cutting it up, though, i just use a can of chicken-it's so much faster.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• look at your local store ad, study it and put together meals, on sale, add coupons and start making your menu from that....for instance this week my store ad has a ton of buy one get one free stuff...this cuts down my grocery bill!!
    Only buy things on sale and try to make your meals ahead of time, then make your list.
    Is pasta and sauce worthwhile if it is not on sale?
    I can buy $300 in food but because I study the ad and clip coupons, make a meal list, I spend maybe $150!!!
    Combine store and manufacture coupons and find a store with double coupon days.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Replace meat with beans and lentils.
    Here are some standard meals at our house; contact me if you would like some recipes:
    noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    veggie pot pie
    lentil tacos
    sweet potato & black bean burritos
    sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Macaroni and cheese with meatballs
    Spaghetti.
    chicken fajitas
    Lasagna
    Beef cubes with noodels and gravy
    Most of this you can get in bulk. Ground bee $10 for 5 lbs walmart.
    Chicken 14 piece pack for 4 at GIants.
    Beef cubes can get expensive but if you get a large pack it is about 7 at walmart. You make leftovers out of all of these. Also for desert buy box mix and get differant flavors to add to the mix. I am making an orange cicle cake out of white cake mix and imitaion orange. My kids are somehwat picky and do not eat alot of ceral so when I buy it I get 2 boxes for the smaller kids and I buy the older Yogurt. Trix is the one we get and it is about 2.30 at Walmart.
    Fridays we have hamburger nights. You can get a box of (Fishers? Not sure) box of 32 patties at Walmart for 48 and it is enough for every Friday od the month for us. We get our fries at Sam's club. you get a 5lb bag for 6.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• www.hillbillyhousewives.com
    Anonymous