Ways to increase milk while breastfeeding?

jherman82

Asked by jherman82 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby to breast -- your supply is based on baby's demand breast fed babies should nurse on demand for as long as they'd like-- a schedule should start to be noticed between week 10 and 14-- after that when baby has a growth spurt you may notice him or her needing a little extra time- that's to increase your supply--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• A beer, you can drink one nonalcoholic one, that's what they told my mom. You might not want to feed the baby right after though. The first poster is right too.
    Anonymous

• You can also try some herbs and pumping between nursing sessions. The herbs are fenugreek, blessed thistle and alfalfa. You can also try mothers milk tea. I found the best success with the fenugreek and the mothers milk tea. Just figure out what is going to work for you and baby.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Make sure you are getting enough calories. I noticed a very sharp decrease when I was nursing my son and eating less to lose weight.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• feed baby as much as possible, eat well, try eating oatmeal and fenugreek supplements and drink lots of water. pump after you feed baby. and relax. find a good magazine, comfy chair, and bring your water bottle when you sit down to feed baby.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 1:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Baby to breast, skin to skin contact while nursing, pump one side while feeding off the other, make sure you are getting enough water and calories, oatmeal, fenugreek, relax. Can't think of anymore right now. Oh a LC told me this, but I never tried it. Take a day and spend it in bed with babe and you both naked (you from the top up at least, babe with diaper) and just sleep, relax and nurse, nurse, nurse. Have someone else take care of the other kids if needed.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009