How do you feel about people getting financial aid from the govt? Food stamps etc.

My husband recently lost his six figure income and is only making 1/2 of what he used to make. I can't seem to get used to it and am still spending $ like before. I've got 2 kids who constantly need diapers, wipes, clothes, etc. I am slowing spending our savings. Should I apply for help? I mean there are people out there who don't deserve it, illegal aliens. etc. (not trying to be mean at all) What should I do? I'm kind of ashamed to apply. Any good ideas on saving $ as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you feel that you need the help and qualify why feel ashamed? It's there for your benefit

Anonymous

• Stop spending money!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• well first off i doubt you would qualify for assistance. if hes making half of a 6 figure income thats at least 50k, my husband doesn't make that and we manage to get by w/o help from the government and we still have luxuries. this is what i did to figure out a budget, for a month you need to write down everything you spend. when you pull money out write down what you spend the cash on, at the end of the month sit down and look through everything ( i got a small notebook and kept it in my purse, when i pulled out money i would write down that i pulled money out than underneath it what i spent it on) figure out where you can cut back in order to spend less and save more.
    as far as food stamps etc...i don't have a problem with people who are on them b/c they actually need them. however i'm sorry but i don't think you need them, you guys make enough to get by on. if you want some tips message me.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree stop spending money, clip coupons and sell your shit. Only apply for that stuff if you can't provide FOOD, clothing and SHELTER over your kids heads. Buying louis vuitton and your kids clothes from the GAP doesn't count. Time to down size.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You've gotta do what you've gotta do. My hubby had a good job and got hurt, so now we get WIC. There's no shame in getting help for your kids. I know it's hard when you are not used to asking assistance, but it's there for those who need it. Don't judge anyone who is on food stamps or WIC, since you don't know their story.

Sounds like you may need a budget and to cut back on some things. That's what we had to do. figure out your income and bills and all that and see where you can cut back on things and lower some bills. You sound like me, I needed to cut back my spending too!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well, if he had a 6 figure income and is making half of that now, he is still making at least $50,000. That is enough to live on and you probably won't qualify for assistance.

I am a SAHM. My husband makes about $30,000 a year and we get along fine. All of our bills are paid and we buy the things we need and want and we aren't on assistance. You are going to have to tell yourself you don't need another hand bag or another pair of shoes.

I rarely buy clothes for myself. Usually only for my daughter when she needs them. We don't eat out but once or twice a month. This is how we have the money to buy the things we want, by sacrificing in other areas. Not that buying only the clothes you need is really sacrificing. I buy clothes second hand. I buy used items through ebay and craigslist. I shop sales. I buy summer clothes when they go on clearance at the end of the season a size too large and hold them till the next summer.
    Anonymous

• Stop spending all your husband's money before he leave your ass!! Make no sense, his income has decrease and he's the only working and you still sitting up there spending money like there is no tomorrow and then got the nerve to want assistance. Hell no you are not going to qualify, hell if they saw your income they probably would ask YOU for some money. Just learn to budget and be mindful that HE is the breadwinner and not YOU.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water;don't buy juice,milk,soda,etc., except as a special treat.Cook from scratch.Replace meat with beans,lentils &tofu.Cook dried beans instead of buying canned.Whole grains,like whole wheat pasta &brown rice,may cost more than simple grains,like white rice &pasta,but they are more filling &more nutritious,so they really are the better value.Frozen fruits &vegetables often cost less than fresh;they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life &holding their nutrition longer.Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries &whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies &a little bit of cheese &whole grain toast.Before you go to the grocery store,plan your meals &snacks for the next 8days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan.Pull any necessary coupons.Eat before you shop.Buy only what’s on your list.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The sales at the store are not to save you money,but to get you to buy more than you need;if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next two weeks,don't buy it.If you would like some healthy &budget friendly recipes,feel free to contact me

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• troll
    Anonymous