So You Think You Can Dance?

Does anyone dance as part of their religious rituals/worship?

David danced before the ark of the Lord.
People dance around stonehenge.

Do you do it alone or with people?
Do you wear something special?
Do you make it formal or casual?
What songs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not as part of my religious worship, but at home I put on some fun Christian music and dance with my kids.

Yesterday we danced to The Benjamin Gate, but sometimes we dance to Toby Mac or Village Thrift. Sometimes we dance to the Veggie Tales silly songs : )

My dd LOVES music and dancing, and it is so silly and fun.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I do. I dance with the goddess quite frequently... Plus it's a great way to build energy for magick!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ditto Sabrina
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yea for the spiral dance
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I haven't really, but I've always been so interested in Davidic dance, and in dance as part of shamanic practice. It is definitely something I'm open to but I'm not sure how to fit it in my life. Lame, I'm sure... but that's where I'm at LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Not as a part of formal worship. I think our somewhat conservative church couldn't handle that much movement. They've just started clapping. However, in private worship times I have, and not just in enjoyment of the music.

I think that if we are going to call it worship we are worshiping, that is we are focused on God; rather than just being entertained or enjoying music. The later is self focused.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Not as part of the Mass in the Latin Rite, but I've attended Catholic prayer services that included dance. My kids have performed in a couple - one for a friend who has passed away. It was very moving. There's a simple dance done at some Byzantine Catholic wedding liturgies.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• yes dance is a great way to contact with the Goddess. Music and movement are a great way to open a circle.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• While I don't have a spiritual practice persay...I do feel a great connection with the universe when I dance. I can get lost in the rythyms and vibe off the energy of those around me...its very menatlly healing for me.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009