Alternating between tylenol and motrin every 2hrs? for a fever

someone told me to try this but i'm not too sure about it. Any suggestions?

kalel08

Asked by kalel08 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its ok to try this and see if it works. some kids won't respond at all to one or the other for a fever though so i would first try giving tylenol for the fever give it the two hours and see if it works. if it doesn't go ahead and give motrin if the fever goes down, give motrin again 4 hours later if the fever returns, if that doesn't work than give the tylenol again in 2 hours, and you'll know its the combination of the two that is working not just one or the other.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No. Tylenol says every 4, so on the 4 then the Motrin but IMO I wouldn't even do that. I don't like mixing medicines like that. Just stick with 1.

Anonymous

• Or better yet, CALL your pedi and ask.
    Anonymous

• Rotate every 3 to 4 hours
    Anonymous

• in children over 1 year old you can give a dose of tylenol and motrin to start--
    you can give tylenol evey 4 hours and motrin every 6 hours so here is an example to clairify

if you give tylenol and motrin now (it is 10 pm and you can give both together) at 2am you can give tylenol again and at 4am you can give motrin again ----
    6am you can give tylenol dose #3 ---and 10am motrin dose #3

YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS LONGER THEN 48 hours!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You can do this but I would wait longer than 2, at least 4 like Tylenol says.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You can do this but you can't give motrin at 4 hour increments. When I worked peds I would tell my parents to go every 4 hours. B/c that is the least amount of time between when the tylenol will wear off and when motrin will start to work.

Tylenol can be given every 4 to 6 hours
    Motrin can be given every 6 to 8 hours.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• NO! Lol. Every 2 hours is WAY too much. You risk damaging your child's liver.

You can alterante Motrin and Tylenol every 4-6 hours as needed, but overall I would just call your pediatrician.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO! you risk damaging the liver and kidneys! you can alternate them every 3 HOURS, so that the motrin is NEVER given more than 6 hours apart and same for the tylenol
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If you're going to alternate do NOT do it every 2 hours. Wait at least 4. Every 2 hours is an overdose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009