Can I get Disability for having low blood sugar Hypoglycemia?

I'm totally dependent on food and it can't be any kind of food I have to have many cuts of meat everydayand this concerns me.I've been on jobs before that said I couldn't take breaks to eat but I have changed my line of work so that won't be a issue for me but still I have to take breaks to eat, to me that's a Disability.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 9:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Health

• In order to get disability, you have to prove that you can't physically or mentally work ... you can work, but you need to eat often. There is no difference between you taking a break to eat, and someone with diabetes taking a break to test their sugar. Your employer should, considering your medical history, provide time for you to eat at various times during the day.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I don't think it is. Jobs are required to give breaks and with what is wrong with you they have to let you take another 5-10 min. to eat or let you bring in the food.

Anonymous

• Unless it is completely debilitating then you can't collect disability for it. I am hypoglycemic and I can make it work so maybe you should talk to your doc as well as your employer to figure a way to work it out. I work as a cashier and my coworkers know that when I page I need relief.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Get a note from your doctor stating they need to accommodate your issue at work. They can't say anything about that. As far as disability, no you have to prove you cannot work any type of job because of your illness. I have severe ADHD a diagnosed disability, it's affected my job at times, yet I cannot go to the state and ask for disability, nor would I care to. It's your responsibility to care for yourself where ever you are. If you are diabetic, you stop and take insulin etc. If you are prego,eat. Pack quick snacks, special shakes and things of nuts. When I was prego I'd go hide in the john for five minutes and scarf things down real quick.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009