How much baby food (in the jars) do you feed a 6mo. at a time

I have a 6month old girl. She was born 2 1/2 months early, she weighs 10lbs. How much baby food should I give her in one sitting? half a jar? more less? Do I burp her after? How many times a day do I get her food in a jar and formula?? This is all so confusing. lol.

brzlngoddess

Asked by brzlngoddess at 9:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 6 mos mine weighed about as much as yours does. Except my DD was full term. Anyways--we did about 2 oz of food per feeding 3 times a day as well as her regular amount of formula. My little one has been a 3 meal a day kid since she was 8 weeks old. So we just added the food to it. We gave the milk first then the food to top her off. Your LO will not open her mouth for more or turn her head away when she is full. You don't have to burb after feeding solids. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my kid ate 2 jars per meal!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my daughter who started out at 2lb 9oz took 1 to 1 1/2 jars per meal. my son who started at 9lb 5oz would only take 1/2 a jar at a time. depends on the kid. we started out with solids once a day, then gradually 2, then 3 times a day. also if she was premature she may not be ready for solids on time, my preemie was not ready til nearly 8 months.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my son is a week away from 7 months and he eats anywhere from 1 jar to a jar and a half! i mix it up though.. like for lunch ill give him some sweet potatos.. but for dinner hell get a meat meal.. and then something yummy.. like apple delight or something.. so he gets a desert! lol... but he gets some juice during the day.. and not alot of formula these days.. they should be getting fewer formula bottles when they start eating foods!! 6 month olds should get 4-5 bottles.. but at 7 months its more like 3-4 because there eating more food.. think about it. if you drinking when you were hungry you would still want to eat right!
    GavinsMommy1108

Answer by GavinsMommy1108 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Just keep offering it - your baby knows how hungry she is. She will not overfeed herself, if she doesn't want it she won't eat it. My son's appetite always changes. Sometimes he eats 2 jars and sometimes he only eats half a jar. I usually just feed him some cereal with formula (I WAS breastfeeding until just recently! lol) in the morning, about mid day I offer a fruit and then some formula, around night time he gets a veggie or meat flavored solid with formula. I fill the bottle up with formula and let him decide how much of it he wants. Every baby is different! Pay close attention to the way your baby acts and keep an eye on their diapers when you introduce a new solid.
    SingThatTune

Answer by SingThatTune at 12:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You replace one formula feeding with a new meal. That can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it doesn't matter.
    You let her eat as much as she wants. When she stops opening her mouth or turns her head, you stop. Use a clean spoon to put a little in a bowl. Feed her from the bowl. If she eats it all, use that same clean spoon to put a little more in the bowl That way the jar doesn't get contaminated with her spit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Mine ate 2 jars at every meal. Just kind of see how she does with how much.... I think babies will let you know when they are done, even its subtle. Just watch for her cues and she should let you know.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 8:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009