In response to the "Jesus as the best role model" question... Who is the best role model in your opinion? How can anyone top perfection?

Of course I understand that many of you won't care that the Bible says He was perfect...

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Right. well, i do not believe that Jesus was perfect.
    There are many excellent role models. Jesus isnt the only good guy out there.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No such thing as perfect. We all do our best and as for role models...my children couldnt get any better, at this point in their lives, then their mother and father.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Pobody's nerfect.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I always loved Joseph (I know, the OT "forerunner" for Jesus LOL) in the Bible. Such a compelling story of making the best of a crappy situation, and forgiveness for those who wronged him. And Deborah -- talk about stepping up to the plate! Such a strong female role model, IMO.

Gandhi. Those who fought in the abolitionist movement, the civil rights movement. Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Paine. Buddha. Mother Theresa.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Not only do I not believe he was perfect there is proof in the bible itself that he was not. He had a temper, he was disobediant to his parents and no matter if he was doing it for the "right" reasons or not, both of those things are listed in the Bible as sin. So he either did them as the bible says he did, or he was perfect. It can't be two ways.

Now, IMO, there are many... I would have to say Martin Luther King for one. Michael J Fox, Randy Pausch, Ronald Regan and more...

To me there is more to life than perfection. So what if he was "perfect" HE didn't achieve the things I want my children to stand for in life. All the man did was take orders...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i look up to people who are good..not perfect.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Jesus was perfect.. although tempted He did not sin. If He was not perfect He could not have been the perfect, sinless, without blemish, sacrafice for all.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yeah, Jesus was/is perfect. He is God. God does not sin, nor can sin be found in Him.

He is supposed to be our example in all things.

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus" Philippians 2:5

Jesus said, "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." John 13:15

"For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps" 1 Peter 2:21

There are other awesome examples in the Bible, but the Lord Jesus is the only perfect One.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Actually if you read the story of the death of jesus he did sin. He spoke out against god on the cross asking why god had forsaken him. There might be other examples, but that is the one that comes to mind. He of course was forgiven for it, but he did do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• "Actually if you read the story of the death of jesus he did sin. He spoke out against god on the cross asking why god had forsaken him."

That wasn't a sin. Jesus wasn't speaking against God. In that day when rabbi was going to teach a lesson, he would say the first verse of the passage they would be studying that day. When Jesus said that, He was quoting the first line of Psalm 22. Which is a prophetic psalm, about how Messiah would die (hands and feet pierced, casting lots for clothes, life being an offering). So He was pointing to the prophesy that showed what was taking place.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009