A pagan question..

Are pagan weddings any different? Like is there a priest type person that gives the vows? Or does it matter?

sarapurser

Asked by sarapurser at 10:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It depends on what tradition i think.
    In wicca they are most often called a Handfasting and you do still usually need someone to do the marrying. However, there are differences. Like jumping over a broom is fairly common as well as other things.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My husband and I are renewing our vows and are going to be doing a handfasting ceromony. You would need somebody who can legally marry you. But there are a lot of diffrent variations of the ceromny itself. We are not doing a jumping of the broom, but we are going to be doing our own vows and we are writing them ourselves. I hope this helps.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• This should answer all your questions much better than I can. Especially since this damn box is so small...

http://paganspath.com/magik/grimoire/handfast.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My SIL is a wiccan and will know alot more, she gave the ceramony to my husband and i (with s e om someoen who could legeal marry us) so ill let her type the rest.....

its called a handfasting..and whoever you would like to give you away can give you away it would type out the whole ceramony but the box is too small, there are things like jumping the broom, sliting the left palm (done by the groom to the bride then bride to groom) and the pouring of wine onto the rope that can or can not be done, either way it is still a beautiful ceramny of two lovers joining each other i life, i wish i could explain more if theres more you want to ask messege my sis and she can caank me :) Ihope this was helpfull, bless-ed be
    AiOkasan

Answer by AiOkasan at 12:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It depends on the tradition and the people getting married. If they are solitary then what I have seen is usually a District Justice performing the legal part and them doing what they chose for the rest of the ceremony, but if they practice with a group there is often a high priest/priestess and sometimes they have the legal right to perform legal weddings.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2009