How do you know if your cervix is "ripe"?

Do you have to be dilated to so many centimeters?
Effaced so much?
Have lost your mucus plug?

What makes your cervix fit the term "ripe"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A ripe cervix is soft. It doesn't have to be dialated or effaced, just soft and ready to go. But really, leave your cervix alone. It won't tell you how soon you're going to have your baby. Vaginal exams are not necessary.
    Anonymous

• I know it won't tell me when I'm going to have my baby but I'm having high blood pressure and the doctor said if it gets really bad I may have to be induced.

Well I done a lot of reading on this and it says you should never induce a women who does not have a ripe cervix and a Bishop's score of at least 9. So in my case I really do need to know if my cervix is ripe or not. I don't want them just pumping Pitocin into me without ripening my cervix.
    Anonymous

• You're right, you're more likely to have a failed induction and likely a c-section if your cervix isn't ripe. It also means your body isn't ready, and your baby isn't ready.

You've probably already heard it, but for your sake and the baby's take it easy, put your feet up, and relax.

Good luck, I hope things even out you don't end up with an induction.
    Anonymous