If your 2-3yo had swimming lessons at the YMCA

If you used the YMCA for swimming lessons what did they teach your child (2-3yrs old)?
My dd is 2.5. We own a pool & she loves swimming! She is good at holding her breath, going under water & she has NO FEAR of the water! She kicks her arms & leg good- but sinks like a rock! lol..So for safety reasons we would like for her to learn for safety.
(we have a gate on our pool, but you NEVER KNOW! So we are doing what we can!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• my kids haven't had lessons yet but i used to teach swim lessons (not at the Y but its usually about the same) so at that age, they usually teach them how to blow bubbles, to hold their breath under water, not to fear putting their faces in and work on learning to float. but a majority of it at that age is teaching them to have a healthy fear and the safety part of things (don't swim w/o an adult etc...) since she already has a good grasp on most of these things, maybe look into getting someone to come to your home to teach her one on one. alot of lifegaurds are also certified instructors and even those that aren't usually teach private lessons for cheaper than certified instructors. so you can approach a lifegaurd your child likes, or call a local red cross and they usually have certified instructors that do private lessons.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• For 2.5 year olds, the Y has Parent Tot classes. The classes are small and the instructor can give pointers to the parents of older / more advanced kids. Mine is in that now (she'll be three late this summer). She is learning to jump in, the beginnings of floating on her back, putting her face in the water, holding her breath under water, kicking and moving her arms in the water.
    Once she is 3, she can be in the independent class - mommy's not with her in the pool.They start to teach kids float and to swim. Once the child masters the things taught in that class, the instructor will ok them moving to the next level.

And yes, while learning to swim does give your child (and you) a false sense of security about the pool... it also helps protect her. Newer studies have found that young kids who know how to swim are less likely to drown. Not drown proof but much more drowning resistant than non-swimming kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• under 2 the kid has to be with mom or dad..the "preschool lessons" starts at age 3..and its more or less just playing around in the water, getting used to it..blowing bubble, playing games etc
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We took lessons at the Y at that age and it didn't work out, but that was because my kids were scared of the water.

They learned how to jump in, blow bubbles, put their face in the water, and to go underwater.
    And you had to get in the water with them.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 8:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Sounds to me like your child is really ahead of what they would teach at the Y at her age. Sounds to me like you are doing a great job. We have a pool and I know your fear about LO's around the water. You keep working with her and she will get there. My 5 swim like fish because we worked with them and had them in the water since infancy. Keep at it and you will get her holding her own. She is little and needs to build muscle to keep her above water rather than sink. Get a noodle and put it under her armpits and have her kick to you over and over again. Sounds like you are doing fine as it is. We do have an alarm on our pool. It floats and if there is the slightest ripple in the water an alarm goes off in our house. It was only about 100 bucks and worth it to us for peace of mind. Good luck, happy swimming!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• At the Y they teach them the technics of actually swimming....versus "staying a float in the water". My son has been taking lessons since he was 3 and is now 6...
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 12:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies! Im glad I ask the question so we didnt waist our money on something she didnt need - even though i was looking forward to her being in a class! lol.. I dont think the swimming lessons will do much for her at all :( but maybe we will look around for private lessons..
    (dont know why i hit anon. oopsies)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Any Red Cross swimming program will be great. It is so important for a child to know what to do if she or he accidentally falls in deep water.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2009