how much do you spend on food

about how much do you spend on each meal you prepare your family?? how do you stretch your food dollars??

Kiki_pie

Asked by Kiki_pie at 11:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Shopping

• We have a family of 8 and we spend about 8 to 9 hundred dollars a month!! I cut coupons and look at all of the ads to get the best deals!! I shop in about 5 different places a month to get deals because sometimes we don't have that much money to spend!!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• fam of 4 and we spend about $600 a month of food....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Family of three, though we often share meals with friends, and spend $60-100 a week. There are many ways to save money. Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Make your own cleaners (cheap and non-toxic). Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat. Cook from scratch. Replace meat with beans, seitan, lentils & tofu. Cook dried beans instead of buying canned. Make your own seitan. Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta & brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice & pasta, but they are more filling &more nutritious, so they really are the better value. Frozen fruits & vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life & holding their nutrition longer.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries & whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies & a little bit of cheese with whole grain toast. Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals & snacks for the next 8 days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only what’s on your list. The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next 3-4 weeks, don't buy it. If you would like some delicious, healthy & family/budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Per meal no idea per month. $300 for 7 and that includes every meal and gummies, fruit, juice, desert. I plan my meals and then make a list of the things I need to make all the meals then I estimate what each item is going to cost me. That way I do not go over the budget.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Family of 4 adults & 3 tweens, 3 dogs & 3 cats. I can do all of our grocery shopping (food, paper products, personal care) for under $300 a month & we eat very well! I am fortunate enough to live within easy driving distance of a salvage grocery where I can buy dented cans/damaged boxes of food, produce & bulk food items for a fraction of the regular store cost. Ex. I can buy cans of veggies for 25 cents, boxes of cereal for under $1.50 I shop the local grocery for loss leaders only. A local convenience store has the cheapest price on milk & our Dollar General everything else. I'm also fortunate enough to have a very large yard & I plant, harvest & preserve two large gardens & fruit trees every summer. I cook 98% of our food from scratch & I've found recipes that are tasty & quick to make. I make a meal plan, usually 3 to 4 weeks at a time, and follow it. It's not that hard and takes about an hour a month to do that.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• There are 3 of us in my house and I spend about $130 a week. We eat out on the weekends, if we didn't I'm sure it would be more.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My budget for my family of 4 is $150 every two weeks. But that also includes cleaning supplies and other household products.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm with WillDoDa. I plan my meals for 2 weeks and that seems to work well with saving money :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 7:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• $250 every other week, plus misc trips for perishables. Probably 650 a month takes care of us. That does not include pet food, which is another $100 mo.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 7:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2009