How many Catholics pray to the angels, saints and Mary?

Is there any other religion that prays to them? I know that by pray it means to ask for help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Eastern Orthodox religions pray to saints. Anglican/Episcopalian sometimes do. I know Lutherans celebrate saints (Calendar of Saints - Lutheran) and know individual Lutherans who talk to saints (they don't call it praying to them but it's the same idea), but the church doesn't officially promote it.  Methodists celebrate All Saints Day on November and again I know individual Methodists who talk to saints, but it's not something promoted by the church.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I do. I pray to the Virgin Mary and to certain Saints for help with certain things. Not very often though, I usually pray to God or Jesus for everything and everyone. When I am in dire need of specific help or healing I will pray to a Saint. For example, if I am going to travel I pray to Saint Christopher or if I want my home to feel safe I pray to Saint Ignacio of Loyola, for pets you pray to Saint Martin of Porres.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Hi Countingsparows! At it again, I see, Why don't you mind your own religion and leave the Catholics alone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't understand why someone is so hung up on this issue. The Bible clearly teaches that Christians can intercede for each other - so praying for others is a good thing. Since the Bible is the Word of God those in heaven would still follow it and pray for others. So then what's wrong with asking Christians who are already praying for us to pray for us?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have an enlightening peace of new for you anon:30 I am a practicing Roman Catholic. I read the question yesterday and was a little taken back because I thought most religions held Mary as a special person. I was even under the impression the Islam faith holds Mary as a special person.

I never thought of Angels, Saints and Mary as a "Catholic" thing (or holy water for that matter) however some of the questions I read today seemed to point that way. I also know many Catholics(such as my father and husband) who to my knowledge have never asked for the intercession of the saints and Mary. That is where my question came from. how many Catholics pray to the angels... and do other religions also do this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• thank you eringobrough for the information on other religions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• OP, good for you! I am sick of the person mentioned attacking Catholics. I thought this was a post by her to start more drama and bash Catholics again. I am sorry I called the wrong person out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Also, my family often prays to saints and to Mary. This is a main difference between Catholicism and other Christian religions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You're welcome, glad I could help. And since Catholics aren't required to pray to/with/for saints there's nothing wrong if a Catholic never asks for intercessions from Christians in heaven or on earth. I know someone who is a very private person and would never ask someone on earth to pray for them, but they do ask for the intercessions of the saints. Personally, I pray to Mary and saints occassionally - especially when I'm getting frustrated with my kids I ask both Mary and Jesus to keep me calm.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:03 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I too get tired of the bashign and surprised by it. Catholics are not the only ones who believe in the saints. But what can you do? goodnight and God bless and I will say a prayer for your family tonight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2009