which nipple??

my son is 5wks and is currently using the "slow" nipples...when should i switch him to fast? sometimes it will take him near a hour to finish a 4oz bottle, i dunno if hes just lazy n taking his time or if he gets tired of sucking so hard.

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't switch him to fast as he may get choked up, but there is a medium flow nipple as well. However, if he's eating well, not screaming to be fed all the time, etc. I'd just keep him on the slow nipples. He may just be a "laid back" type of baby. But maybe time will tell if you need to make a change. You might mention it to your dr. at his 2 month appointment that is coming up soon.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If your brand offers it, get a varibale flow nipple. Playtex has one. It flows based on babys sucking. It doesn't just pour out into babys mouth, he/she has to work for it. My daughter love those.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ALso at 5 weeks, he may not need 4 ounces. 2 or 3 may be sufficient. Be sure baby is eating only what he wants and stops when he's done. It's easy to try to get baby to finish the bottle because you think that's what he needs but it's not always the case. But like first poster said, a good idea to check with the doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2009