• In the Spotlight:

What are some activities for my 3yr old?

I fully intend on homeschooling my kids when the time comes... and I think that unofficial time is now. I discovered a few great websites and would like some of your opinions to add to them. So far she knows how to count to ten and write the letter H and can recognize a few other letters. What has worked for you gals in teaching your young ones the alphabet and numbers?
(side note... I do not wish to open a debate on homeschooling and/or the socializing of my children, thank you!)

McErin48

Asked by McErin48 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Starfall is great for teaching how to write letters. It has the print outs where kids can trace the letter and then practice writing on their own.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i love starfall.....it is a wonderful site
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• www.literacycenter.net is a good one!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• starfall is a great site. i also make sure to use everything as a learning opportunity. if we go in an elevator i'll ask her to push whatever button, and we go through them til she finds the right one. we pick out letters off the signs on the road. anything can be a learning opportunity.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's already been said, but I have to say it again.. Starfall.com!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 9:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Really, you don't need a computer to homeschool at all. Use everthing as a learning opportunity. When you go to the Grocery Store, choose a letter or two for the trip. Write them on a "shopping list," and have him search for the letters at the store. Point out letters and numbers on signs. ALWAYS count out loud, and spell out loud while pointing to the numbers. When you have to add, subtract, anything in your normal daily life, do it out loud. When you are playing with him, building with blocks, say things like this: "I have three blocks, and I need three more for my tower. Can you get me three please?" Let him count out three, then add them to your tower, count them aloud again, and say, "I had three, then you gave me three more. Now I have six!" He is not going to really get the concept yet, but it will get into his head, and as he gets older the concept of adding will click on. cont..
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 9:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Go with whatever he is interested in at that moment. If he wants to ride his bike, skateboard, whatever.. Use it as a lesson in measurement. Bring a tape measure with you, and measure how far one pedal goes, then two, or three. He is not likely to immediately have that Aha moment, but the concepts you are teaching in these moments ARE getting into his brain for later use.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 9:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009