I feel embarrassed and guilty for applying for public assistance. Can you help?

Ok, I've lost my job and my DH makes less than $20,000 a year. There are 5 people in our family now and I know that we would qualify for assistance. My problem is that I am embarrassed, I know it's stupid, and I also feel guilty about it. We need and could definitely use it, at least until I can find another job. The other day I saw a family living in their car. A couple and their 2 young kids. The man had a sign that said he would work for food. We stopped, DH and I, and gave them some money. They don't qualify because they don't have an address to send anything to. I feel guilty for having assistance, knowing we CAN barely make it with out it, when this family is living on the streets. How do I get over these feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know how you feel. I think its normal to be embarrassed, but really you shouldn't feel that way. Its there to help you, so if you need it take it.
    Its so sad that people have to feel embarrassed about these things...again i know how you feel. Its just that there are people abusing the help, stay on it for years, with no plan to ever get off. Makes us all kinda feel low to ask for the help we need and deserve. If your planning to use it until you get back on your feet, theres no reason to be embarrassed. Just know its the best thing you can do for your family at this time, and everything will work out eventually. Good luck. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I've lived on the streets before with my kids,your considered transient...Dont be embarrassed to ask for help!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• when that family wises up they can realise that they can use a mailing address at a friends house...so dont feel bad that you need it just as well as they do
    go help your family and get some assistance while u need it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I felt the same way. Never in my life did I think that I would need and recieve help from the state. I was really embarassed as well. You just have to keep in mind that precious family of yours and what will give them the best life. And eventually you'll be stable on your own again and can give back to the type of families that seem less fortunate.
    brittmuffin

Answer by brittmuffin at 1:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If they have no place they might be able to get a p.o. box I think?
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• get wic and medicare at least and unemplyment/ss
    I told you too! We need healthy kids in America and not struggling families..relax
    rbc.org
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• A PO box here is about 54 bucks for a yer....they may not be able to swing that. If you need it use it hun. That is what PA is there for.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We have a family of 3, and only make about 15000 a year before taxes, he just lost his job for the 2nd time in 2months and we have to go back on assistance, were embarassed too, if we can not be on it, we will, we will go without medical for ourselves, and not go to hospital unless we really think we wont wake up in the morning, and we will only eat once a day if we can avoid being on PA so our daughter can have medical and eat etc. its there for u to use when u need it, dont b embarassed, its hard, but ur doing what u need to for ur family and using what is there for u to use when u do need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Don't worry about it. Everyone has to pay taxes, why shouldn't you get a little back when you need the help. If you want I can help you get a great job working from home on your own terms. You make your hours and don't have to worry about if your kids are acting up while you're trying to work. To review more info research this site and request an interview.

http://www.freedomathometeam.com/tcarter
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2009