• In the Spotlight:

Anyone know how making rank in the Army works?

I just want to know how the promotions in the Army work. Lol my husband just joing in Jan and he still doesn't know. I'm just curious.

jaysmommy08

Asked by jaysmommy08 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well if it's anything like in the Navy, which it probably is, basically you start out at say an E-3, sometimes lower. Sometimes you can become an E-4 by finishing a certain school or re-enlisting - depends on your rate (job). Otherwise, every year there will be a test and you have to pass the test in order to advance. When I say passing, it's not like a regular test. Say you are an E-4 and took the E-5 exam for your rate. Let's say they only need to advance 240 E-5's in your rate. And there are 500 people taking the exam. You have to beat out 260 other people on the exam in order to advance. Then you are an E-5. You then have to be an E-5 for X number of years before you are eligible to take the E-6 exam. You can have that shortened by a year by getting a really good evaluation. I may have some stuff not completely right, but that's the jist of it, anyway. I just took the test when they told me to.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009