help please??

my daughter is 5. Me and my husband have been trying to get her fully potty trained since she was 2. She was almost there but then husband left to go to korea for a year right after she turned 3. So now she will go when i take her but not by her self. I've tried everything. I've tried letting her get a sticker everytime she goes potty. I dont know what else to do. My husband thinks there might be something wrong i think its just that she had went through alot right after my husband got back from korea we moved from the only home she knew to germany. Please somebody give me some help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would take her to a doctor just to rule out any physical issue. Assuming everything is normal, mark a date on the calendar & on that date say NO MORE DIAPERS. By age 5, she knows what she is doing & she knows you will keep going along with it. My DS was trained at age 3 but wore pull ups at night. I told him by his 4th birthday, no more pull ups. He wore them right up until his b-day, then that was it. By 4 & 5, they understand what they need to do. Having a certain date will help make it happen. Also, if her health is normal, get her doctor in on things with you. Sometimes children will respond better if an authority person tells them something rather than their parents. Have the doctor tell her she is too old for diapers & has to go potty like a big girl. She might respond that way. I would give the sticker chart a try again, too but make the stickers add up to something big like a toy or movie out. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My best guess is seperation anxiety. But definately take her to the doctor. It doesn't matter if it physical or mental--she needs to see a doctor. Good luck!
    kgck_momma

Answer by kgck_momma at 1:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• let me add that she wears underwear the only time i have her in pull ups in when she is sleeping or in the car. She will go perfect for 2 weeks or so and then just stop and i will tell her you need to go potty and she will say no i dont want to and then i take her and she goes i just dont understand why she doesnt go. Her doctor here is so werid when i told them they just said it was her dealing with the move.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Is she in regular underwear? If you have her in pullups, she will not feel the wetness and not need/care if she goes to the potty. Continue taking her on a timed schedule. Maybe every 40-60 minutes so she can be successful, reward her when she goes in the potty. Use regular underwear!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Get her a physical first and discuss this with your doctor. Once you know all is well physically then you can concentrate on getting her trained. I would for sure put her in underwear not a pull up. This is going to make work for you but it will happen faster if you do. I would lovingly help her by providing dry things and wipes to clean herself, but let her do the work. Most kids find this a very unpleasant task and get the idea fairly quickly. She should especially at this age. Regression from a major life event can be frustrating. Just make sure all is well physically and then get to work. Never shame or scold...not that you have...but keep at it and you will get there. My sis made the mistake of moving, and taking a paci away at the same time, my nephew started pooping his pants. It was a nightmare...kids are funny. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009