My son cusses.

I dont cuss at all, but my son has picked up cussing from my dad and brother..I have asked them to stop and they have tried. I have tried time outs soap on mouth and everything it dont work..He just dont listen.

leahluvschris

Asked by leahluvschris at 1:40 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he?
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• spank him for it in front of dad and maybe dad will stop! Spank Dad too! just a thought but NO T\that is a shame!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• He is 2 will be 3 in October...He is very grown for his age.
    leahluvschris

Answer by leahluvschris at 1:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Your child is cussing because someone he loves and respects does. It isn't fair to punish him for something dad does and brother does. Smack them first. Every time they swear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Hmm, thats a hardone for his age. I know my SIL had the same problem when my neice was 2. I dont advise it, but she would yell at her and tell her it was a bad word and she wasnt allowed to say it then spank her and make her stay in her room for a half hour. We have very differnt parenting methods. I would reccomend explaining to your son what these words are and what they mean. I mean like shit means poop, damn means darn. I hope there arent any worse words because that would be alot harder. Maybe he could have a game of it and when someone accidentally says a bad word it could be his responsiblity to correct their potty mouth with the right word. Other than that I would really get onto dad and brother and explain that it is very confusing for him and hard for a 2 y/o to understand why he cant say it but you can. I know its not much help but good luck.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• 2 year olds are mimics, this is how they learn language.

I can't belive you'd wash a 2 year old's mouth out with soap for something that is not even his fault. If the ADULTS in the house can't control themselves, what are you expecting of a 2 year old?

The priorities here are comletely skewed. The ADULTS need to quit, and in time the 2 year old will quit too.

Stop punishing your poor 2 year old when it's the adults that are messing up. Maybe they need spanking and having their mouths washed out.

Ugh.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• DD used to cuss, I would tell her that is not a word children use. It is an ugly word, and it hurts mommy's heart to hear such an ugly word coming out of your mouth. Any time she heard an adult saying an ugly word she would spank their hand.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You're not going to be able to do anything until your husband and brother stop. They need to set an example. Don't wash your child's mouth out with soap for something he clearly can't comprehend is wrong.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Sounds all to close to home. My daughter who is also 2 has started using cuss words the one day she fell asleep on the couch and her baby bro (1) climbed on her she woke up and told him to get the f*** off her and called him a f***ing baby. Also the dog has gotton told off this way too. After my husband actually heard her saying this he talked to her and appligized for the way he was talking around the house and explained that those kind of words were not very nice and they make people sad when they hear them. Seems to have done the trick. The both of them have now cleaned up their language!!
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2009