Why not dance?

I don't understand why so many Christians believe that dancing is a sin. Righteous people danced in the bible! It wasn't all for seductive and ill purposes. Dancing was part of celebration. So when did dancing become taboo, and who made it that way?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 1:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• He (God) turns our mourning into dancing! (Ps 30:11)
    Praise His name with dancing! (Ps 149:3)
    Praise Him with timbral and dancing! (Ps 150:4) ~ should be timbale, eh?
    There is a time to mourn ... a time to dance! (Eccles 3:4)

David was dancing before the Lord! (2 Sam 6:14) (Hah! - and David was called "a man after God’s own heart!" In addition, Jesus himself hailed that he was a direct descendant of you guessed it –David’s!)

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• really? there are still cvhristains who think this way? I understand if they thinking dancing a certain way is sinful... like stripping.... but thats so sad... dancing is a great way to praise God!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I love to dance!!! I don't do anything freaky, LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Legalistic Christians, that's who. They don't even know what their talking about
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 2:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Okay, I am a high school teacher, so I can say that MOST dancing with the younger crowd is lewd and sexual. And if you don't believe me then go to prom, LOL. They are having sex with their clothes on, and they call that dancing.

So some people ban dancing at schools for those reasons. And I think if the students are warned not to do that stuff and they do it anyways then they should be taught a lesson in obedience and self respect.

But I don't think it has anything to do with religion. As far as the legalistic Christians go, I don't worry about what they say because there is no verse in the Bible that forbids dancing. So as long as you aren't fornicating or being "unclean" then go for it!

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• LOL David danced....I know tht for sure!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I know that the Nazarene church in my home town forbids dancing, I do not know if that is all Nazarenes or not though. I also no that the Duggars do not dance due to religious reasons, but as to why I don't know. I do not think it is for the whole sex reason though, because the episode where it was mentioned it was an elementary school and they where doing early morning dance and we have all seen that it is nothing sexual to it. I will agree however that most dancing that teenagers due is rather adult and r rated.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I can understand why it's forbidden, though I have no convictions on this myself. It's an attempt at separation from the world. David danced a dance in praise to God (as did others in the Bible). Nowhere is there mentioned dancing for entertainment. Most of the music used for dance today is secular, very worldly.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with dancing as long as it's kept clean. We're going to a wedding next month and I plan on dancing!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I can't believe people still think that way. Dancing is a way of expressing yourself, not to mention great exercise!!!!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2009