Ok, am I the only one who thinks this way?

Ok, here is the deal. My daughter is registered to go to girl scout camp. Fine. We get a letter stating that during (day) camp that no peanut or nut products will be allowed to be brought to camp due to allergies. Fine...I highly support that. No problems so far.
Then I get to the next sentence...
"We would like all of the girls and thier family members to refrain from ingesting peanut products for two weeks prior to the girl's attendance at camp."
I was like, "what??!!" Ok, I know that these allergies are not minor. They are serious. LIFE THREATENING....BUT. If my child had allergies that bad they wouldn't be going to camp. Seriously. We live on peanut butter. If your child is so allergic that something my daughter ate last week will make your child sick, your child should not be going. Yes, it is limiting to your daughter, but that is life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Am I the only one who finds this demand to be ridiculus?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• sounds crazy to me
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 1:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That seems really over the top. I think if my child were that allergic, I would not be sending them to camp. And I have to admit, if the camp was asking that my entire family change our eating habits for weeks, I'm not sure I would be sending my kids.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i have to politely disagree with you, because my daughter has asthma to cats and I still want my daughter to go to school even if it means no peanut butter for your daughter just be happy u do not have to worry about the child dying of yours from a breathing problem! Have you ever seen a child gasping for air?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think it's alittle too far too. What do they do when these children go to school , they have all school children stop eating peanut butter for the year. ( know our school don't , they feed them peanut butter all the time ) Plus how do you know that they didn't just bump into some one at walmart that just ate a PB&jelly sandwish. I don't get it .. I don't know that I would want to send my kids either.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 2:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• So we can't have a cat because your daughter has asthma? And it isn't just for my daughter. IT is for my whole family for two weeks prior and the week during camp. We can't afford a lot of meat and we eat it nearly everyday. I am not objecting to providing HER an alternate lunch. But seriously all of us? I say again, if my child was that allergic, I would not let her out of my sight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• wow, ya thats a bit crazy!! so what if you eat peanut butter, then you sweat, peanut butter like comes out your pores?? i dont get it..lol..what does not eating it for 2 weeks have to do with anything?? to get it outta your system?? well..ok, so the kid poo's or pukes..its not like anyones gonna be touching it..thats ridiculous!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I totally agree with you on that!! I think there out of line!!
    OrionsMommy09

Answer by OrionsMommy09 at 4:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• As I understand peanut allergies are caused from mold. If a child is allergic to mold, "camp" isn't the place for them anyway. Molds are all over there. Most likely if they are allergic to peanut butter they have other allergies. Subjecting everyone to lay off peanut products for 2 weeks prior is ridiculous! What's this world coming to?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would just go on eating peanut butter sandwiches up until a couple days before she goes to camp, they are not going to know and it won't hurt anyone. While peanut allergies are serious I think they are going overboad.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009