can contractions feel like period cramps

ive been having these slightly painful cramps much like period cramps in my lower abdomen for about an hour now every 5 minutes i am exactly 40 weeks my due date is the 11th and on tues i had my membranes stripped this is my second baby but with the first i had to be induced so i dont know what the natural onset of labor is like

mamagdm

Asked by mamagdm at 2:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, they can feel that way at first. Thats the way my first labor was. It felt like that for about 5 hours or so, then the real contractions started.....ohhh boy, then you really know your in labor. I wouldn't worry about it until it actually hurts, as opposed to just uncomfortable cramps. Good luck hun, and congrats!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My ENTIRE labor felt like period cramps...then they became REALY strong "period cramps" and then...bam baby. lol its comin how exciting!!!
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 2:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• yup, thats how it felt for me after my water broke..just felt like that period gross tightening feeling to me...YAY for you congrats on your little one ...Oh take your depends lol no one told me about that whole bleeding part
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yes! I was having cramps that felt like period cramps and didnt think nothing of just figured that it was my baby moving around in there pushing on me or something. Then I lost my "plug" and the next thing i know about 2 hours later my water broke while I was sleeping!
    kaitsmommy1008

Answer by kaitsmommy1008 at 4:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm 41 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I am trying an all natural vaginal birth after c-section. I know I am in the early stage of labor. Been losing mucus plug/bloody show since yesterday, have menstrual-like cramps...been going on for 38 hours and since a few hours ago, they are getting really strong and more consistent, like the most severe period pain ever, So, I would say YES to your question.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh oh! I am so excited for you!! Please keep us posted. We love L&D stories! Good Luck and YES YES early labor feels like period cramps.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• thank you all that answered i went to L&D but no baby they said i am 3 cm and 75% and soft i was having contractions every five minutes but got to L&D and they were every three!!! ubt obviously they sent me home because my cervix is protesting and would not change
    mamagdm

Answer by mamagdm at 5:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• well when i was dialated and in labor but my water hadn't broke yet, I was sent home from the hospital too after 1hr and nothing changed, i was 2cm dialated and when i left contractions were 5-6 min apart from being every 10min when i got there. 1 1/2hrs later or less i was back at the hospital after a warm bath and they said i was 5-6cm dialated and my water i know had also broken when i got out of the bath.
    Anonymous