WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY??

My daughters dad is in prison and my daughter is so angry and hurt she takes it all out on me and she hates her step dad ( who loves her like his own kids and is there for her no matter what)! Her real dad had never been a major part of her life and about 4 years ago has only seen him maby once! He is not getting out of prison for about 30 years so she wont see him until shes almost 40! When her dad was out here I really tried to get him to see her but he wouldent or said he would but never show up! I just told him the only way that I would not let him see her is if he was high on meth (Thats his problem STUPID METH)! And he went to prison for drugs and stealing cars! I told my daughter to always love him and not forget him but she should try not to get so mad at me! I have never stopped him from seeing his daughter but hes the one who refused!! I did try! I feel like she hates me! What else can I say? I love her so much!!

SD777

Asked by SD777 at 2:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• just let her know if she wants to visit thats her choice...it shudnt be urs thats for sure
    and in time she'll grow up and know that you and her stepdad are the only people who stuck around and she'll come around but not if you dont give her the option to see him....sadly even though you wanna protect her she needs to see him and who he is for herself to make any decisions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• she needs counseling,patience,& love. & you did more than i would have i wouldn't allow him around her unsupervised because of his addiction.
    maybe (supervised) you let her visit him in prison or allow her to write him.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• She needs love, patience and counseling to deal with this. Her father is in prison and she may not understand all that it entails. Maybe encourage her to write letters to her father and see about taking her to visit him. You can also contact the prison and see if they have programs for kids of the inmates, some do. Don't bad mouth him, help her to understand that it isn't her fault and that he does love her, but drugs got in the way. She needs to learn about addictions and how much they take over every aspect of a persons life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My ex was in prison and it was the biggest mistake taking my son to visit him! He refers to his dad as "The jailbird". He is an idiot. My son now swear he will NEVER do drugs because he doesn't want to end up like his loser jail bird dad! And yes, feel free to tell your kid what an idiot her dad is for doing drugs!
    Good luck on this one!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Please find a counselor to work with your daughter.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009