Do your kids do this?

Do your kids ask you for a ice cream bar, food, etc or just go get it without asking? Does your child or children ask for a stamp, etc. or just go get one? I'm asking because my child is suppose to but I wonder if all mom & dads require their kids to ask first.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids never were allowed to just go get anything, food, treats etc..They had to ask.

Answer by louise2 at 6:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kids are older so no i don't make them ask for something to eat, if they are hungry they can go into the kitchen and grab something. I only buy a little junk food once a month and once it's gone that's it so they know not to pig out on it and I keep lots of fruit in the house for them so they can eat as much as they want.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kids only occasionally ask for things. I have the attitude that family money bought it, therefore it is for the family.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 7:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• They're only 8 & 5 right now, so they are expected to ask, although they will sometimes just go get it, and then they get in trouble. As they get older, into the later teens, they will have more freedom to go and get on their own, but not yet. And once that happens, they will know what things they are allowed to just go and get, and which ones they'll still need to ask to make sure it's not already spoken for in a meal or a dessert.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't keep a lot of treats in the kitchen. My kids always have had unlimited access to yogurt in the fridge and to any fruit on the table. They don't have to ask for those things.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 7:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kids are only 6, soon to be 7 so they have to ask for everything. They are only really allowed snacks afterschool and after dinner. On the weekends they can get one in between meals but I make sure it's not something sweet for each snack. Hopefully by doing this, they will learn how to balance their eating out throughout the day and so they won't always reach for junk food.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 8:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kids are required to ask if they want a snack or anything.The rule is in our house, "No dinner, no snack" so if they give me difficulty at dinner, they don't get a snack. Occasionally, they're allowed a small piece of candy, but they have to ask for it too.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kids are to ask for "special treats" that is basically any sweets including ice cream. Usually only allowed after a good meal. There are plenty of healthy things in the house though that they can eat as a snack: baked chips, fruit, yogurt, trail mix. Those they do not need to always ask for, but the younger ones (7,8) still do. They will eat something and still be hungary (after school) and say "what I am allowed to eat, since dinner is close). The older two manage well on there own, they are 14 and 16.
    Free2bme442

Answer by Free2bme442 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My kid always asks first and then goes to get whatever.....
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I also had my kids ask when they were younger, but now my teen gets what he needs. My 10 year old still asks. Both kids know to ask when they want treats that also go in lunches. They know I get grumpy when I run out of lunch treats for school!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2009