What do you think about the Texas Granny who was tasered for not doing as instructed by the police?

She was pulled over for doing 60mph in a 45mph zone. Said she wanted to be arrested, refused to sign her ticket, the cop told her 9 times to comply and she thought she didn't have to and tried to get back into her car to leave! So he finally tasered her. I say, "If not but for her actions" this would not have happened and age does not make her deserve a different set of rules? I agree with the officer. What about you?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 6:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's amazing the number of people who object to the officer's judgement simply based on the fact that the woman is elderly.  She broke the law and then was extremely belligerent about it.  Also, it is not the officer's job to decide if she could possibly have a medical condition.  Sure he could have physically pinned her to the ground but then he might have broken her hip.  If that were the case, you'd all be bitching about that too.

Bottom line is that she forced the officer into a situation that was less than ideal.  He used the skills that he was taught to apprehend her.  He was doing the job that he was trained to do.

Dewdlemom

Answer by Dewdlemom at 12:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Just because you're old does not mean you are above the law and can do whatever you please! She was given plenty of warnings, so the officer was justified in tasing her. I agree with the officer on this one.
    Kylie819

Answer by Kylie819 at 6:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yes i do agree with the officer in that opne also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I do not think she was right. Not obeying the police officer. But I do not think the police officer was right either..His people skills are bad. I do not think tazing her was neccesary. He could have delt with her differently. He could of killed her.

Answer by louise2 at 6:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Cops tend to get a little tazer happy, while she was in the wrong he could have stopped her with having to use the tazer on her, if he can't arrest a little old lady by himself then he shouldn't be a cop.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• CNN reported that the taser was the least possible form of "stopping her" with the least chance of hurting her. If you don't listen, then be prepared for whatever comes, I say!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i agree w/ the officer ... i figure it this way ... if it was a 20 y/o man/woman who did that : hed be tased too ... the age shouldnt matter , if you do what she did , than i guess the officer has no choice
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 7:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• This just doesn't sit right with me. Was she trying to attack him or anything? That's the only scenario I can think of that would warrant being tazed. If she was just back talking and yelling, it was uncalled for. Since when does verbal abuse deserve physical punishment? A lot of police officers abuse the hell out of their power, it makes me sick.
    tiffaninichole

Answer by tiffaninichole at 8:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's hard to watch an old lady getting the taser (or, if you're evil like me, you might have a hard time not giggling at the video), but she was being belligerent and confrontational with the officer. I'm sure any of the rest of us would have been tased for acting the same way she did. You play with the bull, you get the horns. Sorry granny.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• FIRST OF ALL - a 70 year old woman has a MUCH higher risk ot developing a heart attack from a tazer gun. He should have just arrested her. She asked to be arrested, & he should have. He easily could have told her to put her hands behind her back, He ALSO could have easily called another deputy to assist him. He should not have tezed her. I don't believe in tazing anyway. In japan, what they do is throw a sheet over you & tie it at the botton so you can not get out. That is a MUCH more humane way to deal with someone who is out of control.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009