i have custody of my nephew since he was 3 and he is 7 now and he still pees the bed so my question is how do i get him to stop?????

proudmama454

Asked by proudmama454 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Talk to his pediatrician, it could be a hormonal imbalance. My sister had issues with that when she was about the same age...she had a special nose spray to use at night before bed and by age 10 she was fine. If I remember correctly it has something to do with and immature bladder. The medicine helped her self esteem immensely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with anon. It may not be a behavior problem- probably isn't, in fact. Get him up before you go to bed and let him use the bathroom. But call his pediatrician and ask. They may refer you to a pediatric urologist, or they may be able to diagnose and treat.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• He might have to grow out of it. It could be a problem for more then one reason. It could be because of issues he has with not being with his mom. Or it could be something that runs in the family.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Aloe juice worked with our oldest.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• we actually do get him up 2 or 3 times a nite and we stop giving him things to drink after a certain time but it still doesnt work...and i have contacted his doctor but all they tell me to do is try to punish him and see if that works but to be honest i think he has been punished enough ...so i just cant do that to him im just stuck
    proudmama454

Answer by proudmama454 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You need to go to a different pediatrician then if this one isn't willing to help you and your nephew!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 6 and still sometimes wets. Its slowly getting better and she hasnt had an accident in a couple months now. She is a very heavy sleeper. I would tell your doctor you would like a referel to a urologist. At 7 its probably time to find out if this is physical or something else. No one likes to wake up in a wet bed.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter actually had problems until she turned 14! Her bladder simply wasn't mature enough and she is a very sound sleeper. They now have some great medicene out there that can help. If your Dr. won't help then switch. There's also an herb that you can buy that will help. I don't recall what it is but you just have to ask at the herb store.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Punishing doesn't work. A child's bladder may not be fully mature, especially in boys, until they are close to puberty, so you may just have to wait him out. If he's a low tone kid, that will make it harder for him to hold his bladder while he is relaxed for sleeping, too. If there are any sleep issues, such as apnea or even just being a really sound sleeper, then it will be that much harder for him to get up to go as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree talk to a pediatrician about your concerns he may have bladder control problems if that isn't the case he might be having some issues about not being with his parents. It is so hard to tell sometimes what might be causing a child to do things that are out of the norm for him or her. There is always an answer and hope out there. Be patient in time you will find the source tol the problem.
    jamiewhite2006

Answer by jamiewhite2006 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2009