Even with our differences, Why can't everyone atleast respect what our men and women of the military do for our country?

This is a spin off from my previous question. The last person to respond made a great point.
"I think the deeper question here, depsite our differences in thinking, is can't you respect the need for the military? Can't you realize how great it is that there are people wiling to volunteer so your husband doesn't have to serve? I would think you would be thankful."

RavnJay

Asked by RavnJay at 8:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i agree. my husband served 15 months in Iraq and missed my entire pregnancy plus the birth of our daughter. i always had respect for the military but now that we live together and i've met a lot of his friends and higher ranking officers i have a total different respect than i did before. God Bless all of those amazing men and women who give up so much for our country!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Because they have done nothing to deserve my personal respect.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Was your previous question "Why so much hate for the military?" Because my same answer stands. I haven't seen any hate for the military, I've only seen support for our troops. The only opposition is against the Politicians that put our troops in harms way. Nothing at all against the brave men and women who do what is asked of them and do it WELL!!!

I think the US learned their lesson about treating the troops poorly for the choices of Politicians after the Vietnam war. No one wants to repeat that mistake.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Exactly what truthteller0722 said. They aren't protecting me or my freedoms, AFAIC, they're committing genocide.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 8:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh well I was typing before I saw Truthteller's answer.

Truthteller, what exactly would someone have to do to earn your respect if sacrificing time with their families to put themselves in harms way in order to protect YOUR way of life doesn't do it?

Just curious.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• truthteller, perhaps during my husband's next deployment you could take his place. maybe then you will have some respect for the people who give their lives everyday for your sorry ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

You have a right to say that without being inprisoned or maimed. Sounds like freedom to me. You obviously have a large family. Sounds like freedom to me.

I wonder how you would feel in a country where, if you are caught saying something bad about the government, you are put in prison, maimed, or killed. Or being told that you cannot have more than 2 children living under your roof at one time.

You also seem to have no idea what is really going on over there. Most of the kiling is being done by their own people and the've been fighting against each other forever. My own husband held a little girl who had been blown up by a car bomb and took her to the medics who saved her life.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• And when those rights are threatened, I WILL support the troops. But over the past nine years, the bitggest threat to my rights were George Bush and Dick Cheney.

The way that my life has been impacted by this war has all been down to 'our' side.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 9:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Which war? Since there are two going on...

How about the threat to your life with the Taliban?

The way I feel about it is this: I am 100% against the war in Iraq, as his my husband. But he has been there 3 times for a total of 39 months. I don't blame him for having to go, as he signed up 6 months before 9/11 to protect our country and our freedoms, and got orders to go to Iraq. That decision wasn't his.

He has felt that the center of the war should have been in Afganistan the whole time. And so do I. I support the war in Afganistan 1000% . We should concentrate on the people who ACTUALLY attacked us. It's been almost 8 years and we still haven't gotten Bin Laden. That's a big problem to me.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with you on the Bin Laden thing, it's absolutely disgusting that we haven't brought him down yet.

When the Taliban are a valid threat to my life, I'll start to worry.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 9:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2009