Sleepless nights in toddler bed...

My dd is almost 16 mo old and we started to sleep in our toddler bed about 2 weeks ago. The bed had been up in her room and we eased into it. She likes her bed and has no problem laying in it - and we've gotten bedtime down to where it's not such a struggle...but in the middle of the night (about midnight), she wakes up, goes to the gate in her doorway and cries. At 1st I started going in right away to see if I could get her back to bed before she really woke up - didn't work. Then I started waiting until it was a wail. My problem is that once she's up - I go in - she walks straight back to bed, crawls in, I cover her up and sit down in her chair (which she is used to from bedtime routine). She will stay there and act like she's going to sleep - when I think she's asleep I get up to leave and we start the whole thing over with crying at the gate again. This can go on for HOURS. What do I do???

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe she is still too young for the toddler bed. Maybe you should try to move her back to her crib. She may still need that security, and if it gives you a good night sleep may be an idea. Just give it a try and then try the bed again in a couple of months.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• why did you switch her already? Were their reasons for it? Was she climbing out? If not, I would go back to the crib. The AAP recommends cribs until the age of three or when they climb out. even if she has started to climb out, you can still get a crib tent to keep her inside.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Do you still have the crib? I bet it was too early. My 2 year old still loves her crib and we're keeping her in it until we absolutely need to move her for the reasons you describe.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009