• In the Spotlight:

what can I do?

My poor pup has red ant bites all on her belly. Can I give her benadryl?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I would advise against it unless a vet says its ok. You don't want to give the dog an overdose and hurt her or worse.
    You might be able to use an anti-itch cream on her belly but again, ask the vet.
    Try and keep her away from the ants if you can. Good luck!
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 9:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• yes, my vet has said benadryl is ok on dogs. Some dogs need it for seasonal allergies. Try a anti itch cream or even a salve to protect it from dirt. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would call your vet and see what they suggest. They can usually offer suggestions over the phone.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Call the vet.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 10:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• this sounds weird but AVON skinsosoft helps keeps ants and mequitos off of dogs
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I give my dog Benadryl for her allergies and when it storms (it calms her down...she has a huge fear of storms). It depends on the weight on how much you give them. I give my dog a half of a tablet and she's about 12 pounds.
    jbishop928

Answer by jbishop928 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Not weird about Avon SSS. It helps keep off gnats, mosquitos and bugs off of people. Others have bought it for their horses.

Former Avon Lady
    Anonymous

• I would definitely check with your vet. It may be too strong for a dog to take.
    tabithafiolek

Answer by tabithafiolek at 5:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Usually yes. But call the Vet for proper dosing. It all depends on the dogs size and weight. Vet may have an idea that will work better too.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009