How do you handle people disrespecting your way of parenting?

Hear me out! My MIL is staying for a couple of days today while dropping my son @ school it was raining and she decided to grab my 7 year old and yank his hood over his head. I don't know why this made mad? I didn't say anything but I would like to...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• it made you mad because it was her way of saying thru her actions "omg kid let me save you from dying from pnumonia because your mom is an idiot that cant remember to put your hood on for you!!! jesus, you'd be dead without me. " lol

i have the same probs. and i really havent found a way of dealing exept for venting in blogs like this. lol. i know "stand up for yourself" but you really have to pick your battles. im just waitiing to pick the battle. lol.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Let it go. It's just a hood.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 9:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• honeybee: bless you! I though I was having some king of crisis but thank you so much for your post. You did bright my day! and

3gifts.from.god: I'm sorry but I wish I could let it go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• sorry for the typos thought and kind*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I get that way with my MIL sometimes, but when you sit back and look at it, its no big deal.... its just a hood. I think as we get older, we mellow out and MIL does not bother us as much. I always try and ignore it so something small does not turn in to something big!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• teampalmer4 yes you're right and I didn't make a big deal of it. I just don't understand why it bothered me so much?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Why did it bother you? Sounds like the way she did it. Grabbing and yanking sounds harsh. I think you did the right thing by not overreacting. We all can be on edge around our parents and in-laws, because we feel like they are constantly critiquing our parenting, even when they say nothing.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• apexmommy We all can be on edge around our parents and in-laws, because we feel like they are constantly critiquing our parenting, even when they say nothing.

Most certainly! thank you

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have not really experienced this. If anything my friends have accused me of "over parenting" That is just me though. I think it is better to er on the side of caution. MIL's can be tricky. I have about zero respect for mine...fortunately I don't see her all that often. She could have easily just told him maybe you should put your hood up and moved on. I think that as you get older you get a bit more thin skined.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2009