Feeding my 4 month old...any suggestions?

My baby girl is 17 weeks old.She is on formula.She takes 6oz every 3 hours,has been for the past 2 months.Recently she has been eating more frequently...about every 2 1/2 hours she shows signs of being hungry.I tried to up her formula to 7oz,but she never eats more than 6. Soooo...this morning I decided to try her on some rice cereal after she ate her bottle.She took to it pretty well...lol...well,as well as you can expect for the first time.My question is...do you think I should just give her the rice cereal once a day after her morning bottle for about a week and then up it to twice a day(like for lunch time) and then so forth? Or should I just go ahead and try her again today after her early afternoon bottle?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 9:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• once a day should be good. My doctor said to wait till 6 months for 2 "meals" a day. Plus, if you give her too much cereal she might get constipated.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• This is up to you. I would say once a day in the afternoon, but it is up to you and your baby. She is most likely going through a growth spurt. My sons appetite will increase alot for a week or so and then plummet. I have read and heard from doc that these are growth spurts.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• She will let you know if she is still hungry after she has her bottles. if she still seems like she is hungry then give her a little cereal. It may help her sleep better if you feed her some before you would like her to go to sleep at night or even when ever it is nap time.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2009