Sex in the last trimester.....Question

I know they say this can bring on labor but how? Is the mans seman, the orgasm, or just all the moving around? Sorry I'm just curious.

froggie1008

Asked by froggie1008 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The semen and an orgasm has a chance of bringing on labor ONLY if your body is ready for labor.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I believe it is a combination of all of those things.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It's both.

The semen has prostaglandins in it that help to soften the cervix making it ripe and allowing it to dilate and efface.

Female orgasm releases the hormone oxytocin which stimulates contractions.

If your having a hard time getting an orgasm at this point in your pregnancy you can use nipple stimulation to get your body to release oxytocin to bring on contractions and then have your DH ejaculate inside you to help ripen your cervix. I know with my huge belly out in front the idea of sex is a task in itself, let alone actually acheiving and orgasm so if your trying to bring on labor I would try nipple stimulation and then during your 20 minute break having sex.

If you want information on how to do nipple stimulation, let me know, and I will post it in here for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I've done the nipple stimulation but when I stop so do the contractions. I'm just frustrated thats all
    froggie1008

Answer by froggie1008 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I did the nipple stimulation and it did nothing for me. I did like 15mins on each side and just felt weird so I stopped haha.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• What regimen did you use?

I'm just curious because my doctor said sometimes it can take several attemps and that it should be done several times in a row until adaquet contractions are established. It should also be done on only 1 breast at a time and there should be a 20 minute break in between.

The other thing is though...if your cervix isn't ripe there isn't much that will help.

If you haven't already and if you don't have a risk of bleeding out during delivery you can try evening prime rose oil to ripen your cervix. Some women take it orally but I've heard it's most effective when the capsules are placed directly on the cervix.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2009