Can this be a reason I'm having such a hard time?

I am in my twenties with one 15 month old. I thought that age was on my side for having a second baby, but it has proven harder this time. My BMI is still within normal range (surprisingly) so that isn't what's stopping us. After my son, I was not on one stable form of birth control for long because I was having problems re-adjusting to it. I finally got on the nuva ring for about 4/5 months before getting off of it and starting TTC baby #2 in January.

While I was pregnant for my son, I had to have that shot because I have a negative blood type (I can't remember the name). Anyway, after giving birth, you are supposed to have a second shot a certain amount of time afterwards and the hospital was a little late. Can that be playing a factor in why TTC a second time in my twenties has been so hard?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 9:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It's called RH Negative. That doesn't have anything to do with getting pregnant. I'm RH Negative and it took 2yrs to get pregnant the second time, which ended in a miscarriage after 2 months. So we're back to trying again.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 9:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• OH OK! I thought I heard somewhere that if you don't have that shot ontime, it can make it difficult to have another child. My mistake!

I'm sorry for your loss, good luck this time around...
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 9:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• i had to have the rhogam shot with my daughter too, but it only took me 2 months to get pregnant with my son... good luck :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Having the shot late or missing it won't stop you from getting pregnant, but it can cause problems later into a pregnancy when the baby starts making his/her own blood supply (I think that happens around 10 weeks). If you didn't get a Rhogam shot at all and your baby has a different Rh factor than you it can be a problem. You may have had a Rhogam shot during your pregnancy (I had one around 28 weeks) that would have most likely protected you at the time of the birth.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009