Can you be pregnant and still have a monthly menustal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had one period with my first pregnancy, which is why I was 8 weeks when I found out I was pregnant. It was a normal, regular period. I think that it is uncommon, but it does happen. I'm not sure if it could happen all the way through, but I can tell you that it can happen during the first trimester!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I had 2.... but yes it is possible to continue to have monthly cycles the whole time you are pregnant... its not common but it does happen
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 10:03 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Technically...NO...BUT you can have bleeding around the time of your usual monthly when you are pregnant. In order to actually have a period you have to shed the uterine lining and discard the egg but in pregnancy that doesn't happen.

The bleeding is usually caused by hormones and is more common in the first trimester than any other trimester but some women do experience it all through out pregnancy.

IF IT HAS CLOTS IN IT you need to be seen immediately because that is a big sign of miscarriage. The bleeding should never have clots in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• anon23 hit the nail on the head- she is 100% accurate! its not a "period" because your lining is not shedding, however bleeding can still happen, usually its slight hemorrhages behind the placenta which goes away naturally or also could be caused by hormones changes in your body.

usually women who have had irregular periods though there life has this happen more often which is why a lot mistake it for a monthly.

good luck!

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My friend's sister had her normal "period" for seven months while she was pregnant. She didn't even find out she was pregnant until she was seven months into it at a routine doctor's visit.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 12:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2009