My son just turned one and won't take a sippy. How can I get him to? He's too attached to the bottle. How do I let that go?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• clean break,,,no more bottle...
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son is almost 11 months and he won't drink from a sippy cup ether. I was told by a WIC nurse a couple months ago that "he is behind". I have tried many different types too, no luck. I told her this back then and she said well let him drink from your cup or a regular cup, and hold it for him. She said he needs to be drinking from a cup of some sort. So, I do give him drinks of water and sometimes Gatorade since he does not like juice, from a regular cup and he loves that. Give it a try!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• 100 % tough love. Make a big show of throwing all the bottles away telling him that you are so happy his such a big boy now . When ever he whines or asks for it tell him all his bottles went to babies and he is not a baby but a big boy. It ll suck for awhile but stay firm and dont give in cause the first time you do and he figures out throwing a fit will get the bottle the battle has been lost. Good luck.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My daughter just turned 1 and i haven't completely taken her bottle away but she only gets it when she goes to bed. I started giving her a sippy cup at 6 months, i would pick up her bottles and put down the cup and eventually she got thirsty and started using it. My son was very difficult to get off the bottle (he was almost 3!) no matter what i tried he would not take the cup. When his sister was born we finally talked him into getting rid of the bottle because he didn't want to be a baby. I am almost ready to take my daughters but only because i am 3 months along with my 3rd baby and really don't want 2 kids on the bottle. Good luck.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You should try one of those sippy cups that have the clear squishy silicone spout that is very much like a nipple on a bottle. Give it to him when he's really thirsty. You should just offer it to him several times a day even if he refuses it because one day he'll try it.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Try a straw cup.mine wouldn't take a sippy cup so i tried that and it worked. or there is a sport bottle sippy cup.
    momcar

Answer by momcar at 12:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You can try to make the bottle less attractive by waterdown his milk. And giving him less & less milk in it each time. Put the yummy milk in the sippy cup. Try a Nubby that has a soft spout, more like a bottle. Or a cup with a straw.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 12:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• DONT PUSH HIM INTO IT. WITH MY SON I PUT BOTH OUT THERE. WITH HIS BOTTLE I PUT WATER DOWN MILK INTO IT. AND FOR HIS SIPPY I PUT SUNNY DELIGHT. SOME THING I KNOW HE WOUULD LOVE TO DRINK.THEN DAY BY DAY ADD MORE WATER UNTIL ITS NOTHING BUT WATER. AND I ALWAYS TOLD HIM THAT THE BOTTLES WAS FAR THE BABIES AND HE SHOULD GIVE IT TO THEM, THAT HE IS NOW A BIG BOY. THATS HOW I DID IT. IT TOOK ME 3DAYS OF IT AND MY SON WAS OFF AND NEVER WANTING IT AGIAN.
    young_wonders

Answer by young_wonders at 2:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Straw cups worked for us. We gave her a few days to get used to it, then threw away all the bottles. You can also try a regular cup (with help, of course). Sippies aren't necessary, they're just convenient. The straw is actually better for their teeth because the sugar from the milk doesn't go straight through their teeth with each sip; it goes behind the.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I fail to see how snatching the baby's bottle away, cold turkey, shows him that you love him. I think it's cruel. If you are a strict AAP follower, they say that you have until the child is 18 months before you really should make a clean break from the bottle. Take it slowly. Start offering him a sippy with one of his meals. Fill it with water at first. Give him time to get the hang of it. When he seems to be getting the hang of the sippy cup. then slowly start adding milk to the water. Eventually he'll take just milk in the cup.

Meanwhile, drop one of his bottle feedings every few weeks (or every month).

Sippy cups AND bottles damage the teeth, so why the big push to transition from bottle to sippy?
    Anonymous