i feel guilty as I don't have time to cook my 17 month old his meals. What jars and precooked food brands are ok and how do you use them? is cooking yourself really better? help!

I would like to know if pre-cooked food is still ok for my toddler and what you lovely moms think about them. This is my first child if you can tell!! thanks to all!

Messles

Asked by Messles at 10:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they should be fine... my dd used to like those gerber graduate meals you just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds, and they're done
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son loves the gerber graduates and the kid cuisine meals. They are fine, like everything else in life, in moderation. There are always gonna be a few days out of the week that we can't find time to cook, so what's so different about a PB&J and a frozen meal?
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 10:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You can also get carrots, peas or green beans in individual cups that are way easy and the perfect size for toddlers. They look like applesauce cups. Of course, there is also a variety of fruits that is the same way.

Also, I keep frozen chicken nuggets and frozen meatballs in the freezer for times when I dont have time to cook.

I can't do the gerber graduates because all of them have milk and my son has a milk allergy, but that could be a good option, too., for your child.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Personally we try to eat as little prepackaged stuff as possible because of the preservatives and other stuff in them. IMHO yes cooking yourself is better because you know exactly what goes into it. If you really don't have time then look at the ingredients lists before buying stuff.

I will cook large meals on the weekends and package them up for during the week. Anytime I cook a meal during the week I cook twice as much as we need and pop the leftovers in the freezer in single serve containers (usually baggies that I just boil and serve later). There are many other ways around feeding prepackaged stuff all the time. My kids do occasionally get the prepackaged stuff, but in very small quantities. If this is a daily thing for you then you need to figure out some other way of dealing with it because not only are they full of preservatives, but also much more expensive.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have a few things always on hand--veggie burgers, applesauce, frozen peas, and whole wheat noodles. They are all fast and easy to prepare. Also, like the previous poster said, cook more of what you are having for dinner and save the leftovers for later.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• What do you eat yourself? Do you cook for yourself?

I'm not sure if I would find "not having time" to cook for your child acceptable. If you can't provide the foundation of a good diet for your child, then there's a big problem.

Sure, you can pop a Gerber Graduate into the microwave, but those things are not as healthy as they seem. And if that's his main source of nutrition, that's setting him up for failure. Tons of preservatives, pre-processed foods, etc.

There is no substitute for a healthy balance of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, dairy, and whole grains. Sure, some junk in moderation is fine, but if you never cook for your child you need to re-evaluate the situation.

I apologize if I'm being hard on you, but I think it's unacceptable to say you just don't have time to cook for your child. ESPECIALLY if you are able to feed yourself.

Yes, cooking yourself is MUCH better in so many ways.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Check the ingredient lists on pre-made foods..its horrible. Even those that aren't filled with preservatives and other artificial ingredients tend to have a lot of salt in them. Its healthier and cheaper to cook your own foods. You could cook extra when you are cooking and freeze small portions for your child so that if you really don't have time to cook something you can take it out of the freezer and heat it for the child!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2009