How do i get my 2 yr. old to talk more?

my son is almost 2 and he still has his own baby "language" going on. he does talk and say words and he's starting to but words together, but i thought that by this age he would stop the baby talk. is it normal or should i work on talking more with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're concerned, consult your Ped. That said, I think the rule of thumb is roughly 50-clear, recognizable, repeatable words by 2 years old. IN other words, he's probably right on track.

What can you do in the interim? Talk to him incessantly. Read. Sing. Play word games. Label EVERYTHING for him. If you're out for a walk, talk to him about what you see. When he speaks to you, parrot it back to him with proper pronunciation. "Yes, that is a bird. I like his red feathers. Do you? Do you see the pink flower he's standing near? I wonder how that flower smells. Can you say flower?"

Kids learn to speak by being surrounded by language. The more words you feed to him, the more he'll be able to pick up. Speak clearly. Speak the same way you would to an adult - nix the baby talk and cutesy names for things.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My step son is 2 now and still doesn't say much every time we get him we just work with him. Trying to get him to to do ABC's colors repeat things over and over right now we're working a lot with his sisters name. right now he calls her baby and tister (sister) :-) he likes to copy but we do it over and over to get it to stick
    Countrymommy03

Answer by Countrymommy03 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Make sure you talk to him all the time....point out things and ask questions....carry on conversations as though he is grown and talking just as well as you....explain things you are doing and give names to everything...Like when you are changing his diaper, say "first we are gonna take off the dirty on and then I have to get a wipe. Now we need a new diaper" Blah, blah, blah...Talk, Talk, Talk...and pause occasionally like where he would say something..like you were talking to a grown-up and pause for them to talk...By a picture book that has everything labeled..I had a cool Little People book for my son...but, that was awhile ago...It showed scenes from real life and everything on it was labeled. I would point each thing out and say what it was...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my aunt got my dd a book called babys first big word book, it was a thick book, that had tons of easy words in it, to get started. now my dd is two and talks like crazy! lol, and shes starting to make four word sentences, but i talk to her constantly, read to her all the time talking andreading i believe are a big help in this area
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My oldest son didn't really start talking too much until he was three. Part of the problem was that i really didn't try to make him. If he just pointed at somthing and moaned he got it. With my other kids i talked to them more and if they pointed and grunted i make them say the word for that item if they know it, if not i say the word and a lot of times they will repeat. Also if you get him around some other children his age or older. He will want to communicate with them and that may help him find his words.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ariane was not saying English words at 2. I got her evaluated and they diagnosed her with speech delays. We got her speech therapy. She was talking a little before she was 4. Clio talked much sooner.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 2:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2009