I have two separate questions

Okay, the first is how I can get my son to start being okay with me not holding him 24/7. I can't help but think I held him too much when he was like...2 months old because now everytime I put him down, he screams and screams and screams until I pick him back up. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I have school work that ALWAYS needs to be done and I'm a neat freak so EVERYTHING has to be clean before I even THINK about sitting down. The only reason I'm worried that I held him too much is because my friend has a baby the same age (4 months old) and she sits just fine by herself.

And the second question is how to I wean him off the pacifier? Should I wean him off the pacifier? I wouldn't completely take it away from him, I'd just like for him to have it when he sleeps or when he ABSOLUTELY HAS to suck something.

Help meeee pleaaaaseeeee!!!

-Cara

ColesMommy0221

Asked by ColesMommy0221 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took my son's binky away completely at 4months. When he would cry or fuss I would just distract him. It took two days and he forgot all about it. As for the always wanting to be held I would just bring him in the room your in and sit him where he can see you. If he starts to get fussy try to distract him before you pick him and only pick him up when all else fails. Soon he will be ok with only seeing you and not being held. Make sure you have lots of toys on hand. What I do is I put Ethan in the middle of the living room with a small bucket of toys. I tip it on its side and he is so focused on pulling them out that he hardly notices I even in the room.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Don't worry, it's not possible to spoil a baby. Babies are babies and they need to be held. They need that interaction with their mothers to grow up and be independent, functioning people in this world. Have you tried a carrier that you can wear her in? DD is 5 months and has always been like that; don't worry about your friend's baby.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with threeunder3. I would wear my baby in a mei-tai, a ring sling, or her Baby Bjorn and still get the things I needed to get done while comforting my baby. If I wasn't able to carry her/babywear her, I would put her in her swing and she was able to see me and watch me cook or clean. At 4 or 5 months, I was able to put her on her tummy for some tummy time while doing some light chores. All babies are different, and it's not fair to compare your baby to your friend's baby because every baby has different temperaments and ways of coping with being alone.

I don't have an answer on the bink bink though because my now 20 month old uses it at only nap time/night time. She's slowly getting herself off of it. She can't live without her blanket, though!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 11:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• no such thing as holding a baby too much! babies love it and it makes them feel secure! you could always get a sling and do your chores, or put your baby in a bouncer and in the room with you. my son kinda just...stopped wanting paci's on his own after a while, but I still offer them (he's 14 m/o) on the occasion he has teething pain (only if the paci is within reach). why do you want to wean him off the paci at 2 months old? I'd personally wait till he gets good at grabbing, because by then you can offer teething rings, and by then most babies get the hang of sucking on their fingers. it's a security thing and feels good on their gums, so dont worry about taking away the paci yet. but like I said, my son refused them on his own after a while!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009