Getting out of the house quickly...

Every morning I have to leave at 8 to go to my babysitting job. I take my almost 14 month old with me. I wake up 6:45, take a shower. He has breakfast at 7:30 but he is so slow. We barely get out the door on time. I need time savings tips. Also what are some good healthly, non-messy breakfast ideas? He usually has a waffle with blueberries but he is so messy I don't have time to clean the blueberries up.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 10:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say feed him earlier. Or, much as you'll hate it, get up earlier so everything can be bumped back earlier. Other than that, get everything ready the night before so that all you need to do is heat it up and put it in front of him, get your clothes ready so you only need to put them on, same with his. Hope that helps a little.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Get everything ready the night before, even take a shower the night before so all you have to do is wash your face/brush your teeth. Start earlier with feeding your son, and unfortunately anything you give him can be messy, he's a toddler :) But if you feed him earlier you might have time to clean up. Have everything laying out right where you know where they are--we are always looking for sunglasses, keys, shoes, etc and end up taking 15 minutes trying to find them. Hope it gets better!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son wakes at 6 and I have to leave at 730 - when he first wakes, I put him in his highchair, make him jelly toast, or oatmeal, or pancakes with jelly( he loves jelly ) or scrambled eggs - all of these things take less than 5 minutes to make, while he's eating, I pick up what it took to make it, get my clothes ready and pick out what he will wear with a clean diaper and the wipes all together, He finished, I clean him up - get him changed and dresseed and off to my shower - while I shower he plays with his blocks while in the bathroom with me with the door shut so he can't leave. I get ready within 10 minutes and we are out the door -with time to spare most mornings. He does eat slow but that's why I make sure to have everything else ALL ready
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Least messy b-fast? Toast with cut up fruit but even then you may still have mess on your hands. Get up earlier, get him on an earlier schedule and have everything packed to go the night before. But realize that you won't be on time 100% of the time at all while you have a small child to contend with. All you can do is do your best. Life happens, so try not to stress out too much if something happens in the morning routine to throw it off. Mama said there'd be days like this!
    dali_mama48161

Answer by dali_mama48161 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The title of this one made me chuckle, because I've found that in the world of babies/toddlers, there is no getting out of the house fast. Even when I think I have everything set, it just takes ages. I would get up earlier or maybe try to do a more relaxed breakfast when you get to your babysitting job, if that's possible. It could be that your toddler takes his time because he's not totally hungry yet (my 2 year old, we've finally learned, will eat a great breakfast if we wait about 1 1/2 hours from when she gets up; she has her milk right away, though). Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009