What would you use if there were no plastic bags?

The UN wants a global ban on plastic bags. Thinking about how many plastic bags we use (trash, ziplock, grocery, retail, etc.), what would you use instead? Many stores offer canvas or reusable cloth bags for sale, but what about trash and ziplock and storage bags? What would you use for those?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We already use reusable bags for groceries and have been doing so for a while now. Last year I also started using nice reusable canvas totes when doing my clothes and shoe shopping too. At first people started giving me a weird look but I just would say "i'm eco shopping to help my mother earth" and when you put it like that people understand and most comment that more people should do it. In regards to the whole trash bag thing I guess we'd use our regular trash cans that we already have. We also recycle so I find myself using less plastic bags anyways since we're not throwing away nearly as much rubish as we use to.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• trash-- we'd have to use the large plastic trash cans. Otherwise, you could use plastic storage containers (like tupperware) for food and stuff... it's not a BAD idea, but it will be difficult to do!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Actually it won't be that hard. China has already enacted the ban, and in result 40 billion less single use plastic bags were used. Ireland has put a fee on the bags, and use of them decreased by 90%. San Fransisco has already banned them, Los Angeles will in 2010, and Washington D.C. is trying to put a $.05 fee on them. Seeing as how it is already being done, indicates that there are different options, we just won't be able to be lazy about it anymore and grab a plastic bag for everything.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/69691.html
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I think it would be a neat idea, but we use our plastic grocery bags for garbage bags...so it would be tough.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Many countries have banned plastic bags. It would be great for our earth. And if they did, there would be a boom in selling reusable containers & bags. I use my cloth bags for grocery shopping, & i actually rarely use plastic bags at all, for anything. I use tupperware for everything. I try to be green. I think it's a GREAT idea! And people would manage just fine, i can guarantee it!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ditto to samurai_chica.

I never use grocery plastic bags. I have cloth and canvas bags that I bring myself. I ask for only paper bags from the stores if I run in spontaneously and don't have my own bags. I use paper grocery bags for bathroom trash cans, they work just fine if you fold over the top carefully.

I never use ziploc bags. I think they are overrated and over used by consumers. My MIL uses them for EVERYTHING, even makeup, and it actually really bothers me. I use tupperware for everything. lunches, leftovers, snacks, and even marinating steaks.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I use canvas bags for shopping. If I couldn't use ziplocs (which I mainly use for kids snacks since cup-like containers immediately get dumped - won't be a problem once they get a little older) I'd have to stock up on more reusable storage containers. But, that makes me wonder. Has anyone looked into the increased usage of water and runoff from washing all the reusable containers? And they still need to be manufactured.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ALL plastic bags? I use canvas bags for shopping and really prefer them, they are more durable. I do use Ziplocs, but I wash and re-use them many times. Most food products I store in Tupperware or glass canning jars.

I don't see them banning plastic garbage bags. We have those large plastic trash cans that the garbage trucks pick up and dump. If anything is loose, it goes flying all over the place. The garbage bags keep in contained. I've thought about reusing my dog and cat food bags for trash bags, but my DH isn't on board. I know they make biodegradable garbage bags; maybe we could switch to those.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I actually only use plastic bags for trash so I suppose I would use the plastic trash containers with no bags? I don't think it would be too difficult. I use reusable bags for groceries and tupperware instead of ziploc.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 11:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Think of all the people who would lose their job....... I refuse to pay for and drag around my own bags for groceries. I use the plastic ones at the store and easily return them into the recycle box at the store on my next trip. Going back to paper would be fine also. As for baggies, and trash bags. Swooosh (sound of jobs going away) I don't think they will ever ban ALL plastic in the U.S.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2009