Does anyone elses 4 year old still not poop in the potty? (I need help!)

My son will be 4 this weekend and he goes pee in the potty just fine but will not go poop. I have tried taking away his pullups and just putting him in underwear but then he won't go pee or poop in the potty, he goes in the underwear. I have given him rewards for using the potty and we have big rewards for when he finally goes poop but he still won't. I don't know what to do. Anybody else have any ideas?

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 11:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Since he's 4, try Poop Jail.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/7107108/Poop_Training_Information_HERE
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• my 5 year old little girl did the exact same thing. She wore panties all day and went peepee just fine, and we put pull-ups on her at night for bed. Well she would hold poop all day and wait until she had the pull ups on to go. We tried everything giving rewards; telling her we would take her to Chucky Cheese ect.. Nothing worked. What we finally did was take her favorite thing away. She has a snoopy doll that she has slept with her whole life, and when she went poop in the pull up snoopy went up for the night. After about 2 or 3 nights of not having snoopy to sleep she started going poop in the potty. It broke my heart to hear her cry for snoopy, but we had to do something. She has done fine, and about 2 months after that we started doing panties at night too. That was 7 months ago and she has only wet the bed 2 times, and hasn't had 1 accident any other time.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ours did this. Mentioned it to the doctor, we just thought she was being difficult. Doctor had us referred to a GI specialist.

That doctor told us we had some issues. The kid was completely distended since birth. had difficulties all her life (all 4 years at that point). she couldn't feel the poop come out so she would poop in her panties.

We've now been on MiraLax daily for almost a year and we have to do periodic cleanouts of her bowel to allow it to relax after 4 years of distension.

Not always the kids fault and that was my true "I'm a bad mom." incident.

Good Luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 7:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009