Name Picking?

Who picks the names for your babies, you or your husband or joint decision? I let my husband pick the name for our first because it was a name he wanted to use for his first son since he was a kid and I picked the middle name. This time we are pregnant with a boy again and my husband is trying to be part of the name picking process but he won't even consider anything I like until he picks out everything he likes first but the names he likes make me want to cry because I am not naming my child after a teenage mutant ninja turtle! I told him he wasn't taking it seriously but apparently he is very serious?! This has been an awful pregnancy for me with depression and being sick and I feel like after all I have been through there is no way I am naming my kid after a turtle! what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did and he agreed. It was a nice normal name (Nicholas Ryan) so no big deal. He did say no to the name his parents liked (Whitney Haywood) so I guess if I had picked something really wacky he would have balked.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Lol....men!!! I think since he picked the first name, you should pick this one. At least the first name and maybe....let him help with the middle name. But, not a Ninja turtle. That would just be torture for the poor little guy. Imagine him trying to go into the Corporate world or become a doctor some day with a name like that!!! lol....seriously, I'm sorry you're having a rough pregnancy. I know how you feel. All 3 of mine were tough. Just try not to get too upset about it. When hubby sees the new little face looking at him, maybe he'll realize that "Donatello" or whatever isn't such a good choice after all.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• it was Donatello and it makes me want to cry! His second choice was Gunther! Sorry if anyone picked those names but they just make me cry!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• DH and I picked together. He joked that if we had a boy, he wanted to name him Optimus Prime. We had a girl. haha. We actually searched through the baby book and picked all the ones we liked and then went through the list. Too a while before we got to to names we liked. I had my fav and hubby had his. We ended up picking mine only because he didnt like the initials of his fav. So i wont by default. Now i like his fav and he liked mine, so either one was fine.

We have a name picked for a boy, but I'm not liking it as much as i did before. So, we might have to redo that process when the time comes.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• lol stop him serious Donatello? and Gunther that's just sad... I picked my daughters name and I'm naming my 2nd. Always open for suggestions but the final decision is up to me.. the way I look at it I'm the bad cop most the time and I can't try to discipline a Donatello with a straight face.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Just for the record Donatello was an artist long before he was a mutant ninja turtle. I like the name but, unfortunately, it does tend to bring sewer surfing to mind. My husband and I both worked to pick our kids' names. With my son my husband was dead set on naming him after a NASCAR driver. If it had been up to him we'd have Sterling James Brown rather than Corbin. With our youngest daughter I had a million names picked out. He wasn't happy with any of them. It was hard to do but with only a couple of weeks left in my pregnancy we finally came up with one we were both happy with. Picking names isn't always an easy process. You just have to be patient and eventually, one will just come to you and it'll be perfect.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Me and the SO are fighting over themiddle name, but we just made a list of our favorites, compared and then decided which names we thought would fit. We decided to wait to see the baby before picking a definite name, though!
    Anonymous