What are some thoughtful things you can buy or do for someone that has less than 6 months left to live?

My grandma is dying from breast cancer and its spreading very quickly, she has less than 6 months left and I'm not sure what I can do/say/or get for her to comfort her through the end. I thought about a life scrapbook but I'm not sure I can find pictures and stuff from when she was younger.

pinkgemini85

Asked by pinkgemini85 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Health

• If she is able, how about buying her a really pretty journal to write down things about her life. She can write about when she was young, her marriage , her kids, ect.. That will be great for your family to have.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• When my grandmother was dying from cancer, I bought her the bible audiobook. She was a very religious person. Maybe something along those lines? They make all kinds of inspirational audiobooks whether religious or not. This way, when her health is really bad, she can still hear words of comfort.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 11:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Spending time with her, not being afraid of her, and not pitying her. The scrap book is a great idea but it might mean more if you both do it together if/when she has the strength. When my grandfather was dying of cancer, he wanted us there with him, like normal, joking and picking and laughing. This is a hard time, once the shock of the her upcoming death is over, you all will get back to some form of normalcy, enjoy that time. Just be there for her and with her.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You can get her some books to read if she likes reading, and try to find out what she likes. I think most importantly, be there for her, to talk to her. I know my grandma gets really lonely and I know she thinks about seeing us before she dies. She also has cancer and had 6 months to live. She's passed that, and has been strong, but we know it's going to happen one day. Hopefully not soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I'm in my late thirties with a terminal illness. From my point of view, there's nothing that anyone can buy me, I want my family and friends to just be with me and talk to me...about anything and everything. Let me know that my life matters and that I'm appreciated and loved. I would say your time could be the most valuable gift of all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• hmmm maybe she would like to go through old photos and stuff but she is probably to weak to make a scrap book with me.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• If you are there by her, she is making it with you, she is sharing her memories, thoughts, laughter, etc...she may not be able to do alot of the cutting and so forth but she is there with you, and thats the imporrtant thing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• you could just sit with her and ask her question and write them down or record it. Whe I was in college I had to do an interview of someone for a class. I interviewed my grandfather. He died about a year later, for his funeral the preacher read the interview and picked out thing to talk about. And now all my cousins and I love having a recording of him talking about his life.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Honestly...just visit her...if you have kids take them to see her...often. Bring her to your house for dinner...a couple years back my mother "adopted" an elderly man from her work...she had known him for years, his wife passed away and a month later he found out he had stomach cancer. He had no children of his own, nothing made him happier then coming to spend time at my mother's and the visits from my children and I.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009