Do you do this?

Do you stop before crossing the railroad tracks if there is traffic and wait till the cars have moved a distance to move forward yourself? or do you just move forward and sit on the tracks?

I am bringing this up, because of the recent story in the news about a woman that was waiting in traffic ( with her two year old son) on railroad tracks and the person infront of them moved so she could get out of the way of the oncoming train, she moved the wrong way and ended up facing the train. Her 2 year old was fine.
In my opinion, she needs to be charged for endangering her child. This woman was stupidly lucky that she didn't kill him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I won't stop on tracks simply because I don't want to get stuck there if a train does come. I bet that's a mistake she won't ever make again!
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 11:40 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I won't stop on the tracks. Most of the trains around here go slowly so if someone was on the tracks they could stop in time but it's common sense to not stop on the train tracks. I even look both ways before crossing. I don't stop before them but as I'm approaching I scan both ways. I don't trust the arms.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would never stop on tracks, even if it was a track with very little traffic. Just invites disaster. Always wondered how people manage to get hit by trains.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I will not stop on the tracks. When I was younger there was a train that derailed because it hit a semi that was on the tracks. The arms never went down. That ended up in them checking all the crossing in town and out of the 18 crossings in town only 3 of them worked right. I reallly do not trust those arms. I also slow down and check even if there isn't any traffic just to make sure.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Sometimes I will be driving and I come to a railroad track and I stop on it and look both ways to see if there is a train coming, when the coast is clear I go forward....

No J/K I do not approach the tracks either it is in front of me or behind me but not too close behind. Some people have no sense...good question!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Op here. WE have a crossing here too that the arms do not go down till the train is going across, and the only reason we can think of it is right at the loading dock. It moves forward and back several times. I am
    Anonymous

• I grew up in a town that had many sets of railroad tracks. Peope were smart and NEVER stopped on the tracks for any reason, especially in traffic that wouldn't allow you to move if a train was coming. I now live in a town that has only one set and I see people constantly waiting in traffic sitting right smack dab in the middle of the tracks. I cringe every time I get stopped at that intersection. The tracks aren't very active but are still used to deliver goods to one particular business on occasion. So, my answer to the questions is NO. I have a little bitty car that would be completely obliterated by even a slow moving train and I value my own life and my kids' lives way too much.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009