Why do they do this during teething?

Why is it that when a baby is teething they pull on their ears and sometimes have diaherrea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its a responce to the pressure and pain of teething. Have her/his ears checked to be sure it not an ear infection but it is common for them to pull on their ears... Ask your childs Dr. if they can have childrens advil for the pain..My Dr told me how much to give because it was a better pain reliever than tylenol.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The ears, nose and throat are all connected. I have a wisdom tooth that I have not had pulled yet. When it starts growing my ears and jaw line hurts for a few days. If you ever notice when your throat hurts or is a little scratchy your ears might feel a little uncomfortable too. I would have it checked out though. Both my older kids never pulled on their ears when they had ear infections, but they did have diarrhea.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• The ears tugging is in response to pressure and pain in the jaw. And the diarrhea is from all the extra drool that comes with teething. At least that's what my oldest son's pedi told me. It has to go somewhere. What doesn't spill out the front goes into the rest of their digestive system and softens the poop potentially causing diarrhea.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2009