My 1yr old is a climber and doesnt really sleep that often..........

My son is 1 and like to climb on things which isnt a problem but the other day he started trying to climb over the back of the couch which im scared he may fall and really hurt himself (its like a 2 ft drop). Any ideas on how to get him to stop? Also as of recently he wakes up at like 7am everyday regardless of the time he goes to sleep ( i can put him to bed at 10 or 11 and he still wakes up) and as a single mom who works til 10 at night and by the time im ready to go to bed its around 12 or later so ive been really tired lately and ideas on how i can get him to sleep at least an hour or 2 later????

chrissydee

Asked by chrissydee at 4:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 15 mo old and an avid climber. Our couch is against a wall. And that's the only advice I have for that..try and put it against a wall if possible. Our son will climb on our couch no matter what, so I understand your problem there. Also my DS goes to bed at 8:30ish and wakes up at 7. But I know many moms who put their kids to bed at 11 or so and the child doesn't wake til 10 in the morning. To me, it sounds like he is overtired and strangely enough when kids are overtired, they sleep LESS. Do you put him in bed or does a babysitter/relative? Have you tried to tuck him back in when he wakes in the morning? Sometimes I can catch an extra hour by doing this with my DS.
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 5:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I did something very different with mine but it worked beautifully. I was unhealthy at that time and couldn't get up early with my early risers. So, I let them sleep on the floor on a cushion at first. Later we made a special bed. Anyway, we would let them sleep where they could get in and out of bed as they needed or wanted to. The room was completely child proofed. We always had the moniter on. We trained them that when they got up they could play in their room until I came in to get them up. They did very well with it. We never had the slightest problems and they would greet me with a great big smile and hug when I came in to get them. If they wake up very hungry you can leave a little snack that's not dangerous and a sippy cup. That's what we did and I hope you find the answer for your family.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 4:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You're just going to have to yell at him & physically remove him from the couch when he starts to climb. As for the sleeping... there may be nothing you can do. My son is the same way. Some people might tell you to try putting him to bed a little earlier... sometimes when kids get MORE sleep, they sleep better. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2008