1 month old and a cold

my baby is 5 weeks old and has a lil cold he has a stuffy nose and a lil bit of a cough, i have been doing the saline drops, but since hes so young should i go agead and take him to the doctor? i have learned with my other kids that if its a cold and theres no fever there not much the doctor can do, but since hes so young should i go ahead and take him or just wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes! babies that young should be seen by a dr. just to be on the safe side. the dr. might just tell you to do exactly what you're doing, but it's good bring it up to the dr and have her monitored since she's so young! you can also put on a hot shower to steam up the bathroom and sit with her in it to help clear her system. a cool mist humidifier can also be put in her room.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• im a pediatric nurse myself anon and i suggest getting a cool mist humidifier for his room not hot..heat just makes the mucus sit in the lungs longer. that and raise one end of his crib /bassinet with a towel under the mattress to elevate him so he can breath easier. there really isn't much a dr will say other then do what you are doing so elevate/nose drops(saline) cool mist humidifier
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 11:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with preggoinmn. My DS had a chest cold when he was a month old, we tried the humidifier but it didn't work, the saline only helped his nose but the mucus was in his chest so his pedi prescribed a nebulizer.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 11:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• As long as you don't feel rattling in the back or hear wheezing your best bet is just ot keep up with what your doing. But if you are uncomfortable with the cold and need reassurance take your lil one in just to be checked on. Like you said they won't do anything for them really unless its worse then you think and they may do some antibiotics. Hope your lil one feels better soon.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My poor dd is 3 months old and she has a cold too. Hers is because of her older siblings and partly due to teething. My mom keeps yelling for me to get her into the Dr. but I know there is nothing a Dr. can do. The only way I will take her in is if her temperature gets higher or if she has problems breathing or has some congestion or diarrhea or vomiting. After the 3 time, I know there is nothing I can do for a virus other than let it run it's course.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009