"I feel like a bad mommy" moment

just happened a few minutes ago. my son, 14 m/o, likes to splash his hands in our cat's water bowl (I know...ewwwww). I always tell him NO and distract him to do something else. I mean he has slipped before, not to mention it's not very clean lol. well what I did this time was put some water in a mixing bowl so he could have a bowl of his own to splash with. well STUPID ME put the bowl on the kitchen floor and he was having a good time, untill I heard a loud bang...he slipped and hit his head really hard. He's ok though. I picked him up immediately, comforted him, laid him on the couch with me, then he started playing around as if it never happened. but he has a red mark on his head...might end up being a bump. He's ok now and is taking a nap. I feel pretty stupid for having this stupid mommy brain moment. DUH he has slipped on the water he spilled before, why would it be different this time...because it's not the cat bowl?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• don't feel too bad, we all have duh?? moments. If we didn't we wouldn't be human.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Aw, sounds like a good mommy in the sense that you tried to find an alternative to the cat bowl so your son could do something he thought was fun. As for the fall all babies fall sometimes, don't worry about it.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ugh, I had one quite awhile ago...but I felt like such a HORRIBLE Mommy.

Our son is almost 7mos (on the 19th) and he has been sleeping in his own room in his crib since 2mos. So we have a baby monitor for him so when he wakes up (usually in the morning) but he'd been going through this stage where he'd wake up about 4:30am, eat a bottle, and then go back to sleep, (wasn't much of a big deal, probablya growth spurt)...
    Anyway...I had gone to bed..this was probably a few months ago, and had forgotten to turn his baby monitor on..(and he sleeps with his door closed, we have a cat). And I just woke up for some reason it was probably around 5ish in the morning...and heard him wailing in his room...and he was sniffling and snuffing like he'd been crying for awhile...I FELT AWFUL! So I made him a bottle and let him sleep with us the rest of the morning..and cuddled him so close that morning... I felt horrible for that one...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• don't worry..I'm sure you're son is okay!....mines had a few tumbles since he's been moving around alot...

we all have moments...and I thought we were supposed to share ours....lol
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• what you have done is shown him it's ok to play in whatever water is in the floor, including the cat's bowl. Get him a little pool, take it outside and let him know that's his splash water (or put him in the tub). Putting down another bowl of water is going to confuse him. It's ok for me to play in this but I get yelled at if I play in that one. He's probably looking at you asking wtf? He's too young to comprehend what you are trying to teach him.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• When my oldest was 6 months we were at the zoo. I was holding her and I slipped on some loose gravel and she went flying. She landed on some hard-packed gravel, only 2 inches away from a concrete ledge. I felt bad enough about slipping while holding her, but the poor girl got a concussion too! And she ended up being allergic to the sunblock we used that day, and got a sunburn...not a great parenting day, lol.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• No, he slipped because he is all boy. It's ok Mommy. This will not be the last time a bump on the head happens. My son did it 4 weeks in a row one month. As soon as the bump would heal he would hit it again, next week same thing, next week same thing GEEZ! I was ready to put him in an inflatable suit. Your son will heal and be fine until he's on to the next thing that causes a bump.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• moms feel guilty about everything. I did something like that.
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 1:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• LOL - I know what you mean. I remember when I was pushing my son in a little "car" cart and thought it would be fun to push a little faster and then let go when we got to the grass to slow it down. Great idea...EXCEPT I forgot about the blackberry bushes RIGHT IN FRONT and ended up pushing him right into the brambles! Now how's that for a "DUH!" bad-mommy moment! Yeah...we all have them.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Oh, don't feel bad. We all have those moments!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2009