Child custody question....

Does committing adultery factor into a child custody case at all, or just the divorce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I think that's just divorce never heard anyone for custody mention that
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 11:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Depends on the case. Are the kid around when its happening and things like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Nope the judge will not even bother those issues in the care of the children .If adultery is the case on your divorce you can have the upper hand if you have proof and bring your finances and properties you can be granted alimoney and a better deal in the divorce .You and your ex will probly have to take a class in some states its mandatory and what it explains pretty much is how a divorce has and must not effect the children that both parties must be respectfull to each other because of the children
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• neither. Divorce is now Dissolution of marriage and a reason, other than irreconcilable differences, is no longer required in most states. Adultery wouldn't matter in a child custody case unless the child is or will be affected by it. (other woman was abusive, neglectful, etc)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• What if a father was being neglectful of a child by committing adultery? IE....leaving his family for days without any prior knowledge and then coming back to find out that he'd been out with another woman...?
    Anonymous

• My husband cheated on me and we divorced. I never held that over his head because I put my kids first and they wanted to see their dad. They never knew he cheated and I never felt to air that to them. They know now he told them when they got older. They were angry at him but he has been a good dad to them. His "other woman" has been a great step mom to them. It was hard but as a mom I had to put my hatred for what he did to me aside and do what was in my kids best interests out there. Using a child as a pawn is sickening and worse than an affair. I would reconsider thinking only of yourself you need to think of your child.
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:24 I totally agree with you..You sound like a wise woman...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• It all depends on the case. Each and every case its different along with each and every state is different. Also, depends on the kids age.

To those, that say it don't effort the child's case MOST OF YOU NOT HAVE BEEN TROUGH IT OR HAVE KNOW ANYONETHAT HAS GONE THROUGH IT.

And to anon 12:24 "Using a child as a pawn is sicking and worse than an affair" Its not the other party doing it. Its the courts and even then the times that the other party gets full custody its better for the kids and they not using them. Its what they see fit for their kids. Who are u do judge that they are using their own kids as pawns.
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:50 you need to relax...

Ofcourse every case is different...
    I believe the PO is probably still angry and only seeing that anger.
    Children need BOTH parents, regardless if daddy cheated!!
    If he is not abusive, then there is no reason he can not be a father.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Dannee

so what if all they are seeing is anger.They have every right to and they are doing what they think it best for their OWN child. If the father or who ever cheated (cause the OP didn't say who did the cheating. And why does it always have to be the father cheating) has different people around the kid its not good for anyone. (and I mean differnet people like changing who they seeing every wk or so)
    I'm only saying it how I see it being as my parents were divorced and I have dealt with courts and custody.
    Anonymous