Have you really chosen of your own free will?

SFOQ:
"I think that everyone has to decide for themselves. Statistics show that most people change faith young (college age). So it is probably just something they hadn't yet decided on fully. I explored different faiths/beliefs when I was young, before I came to Christ."

I think there is a huge difference in the philosophies of people who have explored their options and those who have stayed with how they were raised. If someone has never taken the time to learn about other religions (not different denominations, but entire religions) have they really chosen their faith of their own "free will"? It's not much of a choice when you've only ever allowed yourself one option.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's not much of a choice when you've only ever allowed yourself one option.

I agree completely.

I know that many Christians have never even read the bible completely - so how is it they know what they are putting their faith into? (many will SAY they have, because they don't want to admit ignorance of their beliefs)

nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 1:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I've explored my decision thoroughly. I've written a philosophical argumentative thesis. I believe that I have found the answers that I was looking for.
    Anonymous

• I have studies a lot of different faiths and must confess that i find each equally fascinating in its own right. So many religions have a common thread amongst them, yet can also be so completely different. I have learned about other religions, but I've always stayed with Christianity. It just makes sense to me. I believe in the awesome power of God. I believe in His Son , Jesus Christ. I never full comprehended everything about Christianity until my 20's, but I have learned so much and continue to grow and learn in my faith. So, yes, what religion you choose is a Choice. Free will was given to us all by God. It breaks God's heart to watch his children turn their backs on HIM, but God won't force you to come to Him. It's an open invitation to all who will believe. No matter what you do, how bad things may be, or what you may become, God never leaves you. He will not forsake you or leave you...He's always there morning,
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• noon, and night. It's up to the individual to open his/her heart to let HIM in and to accet the invitation of eternal love and peace and blessings. No, life won't be perfect. God never promised us that. But the comfort in knowing that we're never alone.....there's no other feeling like it.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ugh maybe I should have phrased this better. If someone has NOT studied other religions, have they made a choice of free will?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• That's a tough question (you always have the good ones!). I guess it depends on the person. If someone knows that other religions are out there, but they're just happy where they are and have no desire to explore other ones, then I guess they're using their free will to stay in that religion.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Really I can only name a slim few who did not study their religion at some point of early adult life. In fact, when i went through my lost years most of my friends were able to tell me about the years they came to not believe and then turned back to God. IMO there are very very few ppl who have not studied their religion on their own.

But to answer your question---once you move out of your parents house, pay your own bills and make your own choice what to do you are choosing on your own free will. If you make the choice to continue in the church you were raised it is your own free will.
    Anonymous

• IMO there are very very few ppl who have not studied their religion on their own.

I'm not talking about studying the only religion they've ever known. I'm talking about studying all the other religions they've never practiced.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• ok...there are very few who haven't studied other religions. It seems like basic Sunday school classes teach about other faiths. But anyways, yes I think they have made a choice on their own free will to continue their religion. I bought a pair of adidas the other day. I walked into the adidas store and bought an inexpensive pair. I did not look at the high dollar pairs, I did not walk into the nike or converse store but on my own free will i bought a pair of low cost adidas shoes. Just because i didn't research all other options doesn't take away my free will to buy shoes in the manner I have bought since I was in 9th grade. The same goes for religion. Just because a person does not research the baptist church down the street from the Methodist church that sits next to the Lutheran church they attend does not mean they do not walk into that church on their own free will. but again, i think most do learn about other religions.
    Anonymous

• ok...there are very few who haven't studied other religions.

You must be new here
    Anonymous